CALLING the PITCHES - the sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Been watching the ESPN replay GA & FL the slappers IMO the pitchers were working them outside most of the time, which I found rather odd.

You see odd things even in college ball. Mrek can certainly be right about pitching at that level. It depends on the area of the country, and also that particular team and player. But at the DI level you don't see too many seriously technically flawed slappers. They want to hit to the left side, and their mechanics are established to enhance that possibility. It has been proposed that you pitch them that way and play them that way. Well why not pitch them to their weakness and play them straight up or to the right side? They have one HUGE hole in their swings when executed properly, and that is INSIDE! And inside at the knees is almost impossible to reach. So rather than allowing them to put pressure on their defense, why not just sit them down or force a weak ground ball to the 1st baseman.

Think of this scenario: You have a runner at 3rd base. You have a slapper with good mechanics, front foot pointed at the SS at time of contact, you pitch her outside and put pressure on the defense, look back - throw to first, runner going home, hold the ball, then the runner tries to steal second base. It spells potential trouble. Instead, I pitch her primarily inside with speed, change-ups away, whatever, if she hits that inside pitch you have either a short throw to first by the 2nd baseman, or the 1st baseman fields the ball and runs up to tag the batter-baserunner, holding the runner at 3rd without a throw. Which would you prefer?

I have seen batters with extremely closed stances, or they set up extremely open, and then step into an extremely closed stance (back foot is a foot further from the strike zone). And where do I see them get pitched? They have a huge hole in their swing, and that is the inside corner. Just like a slapper the bat is already returning, climbing, to the front shoulder deep in the strike zone, rising over the ball before they can reach the pitch out in front. And yet I see college coaches pitch them away.

There is another habit that drives me crazy. I used to see Stacey Nelson do this. She threw screwballs to left-handed batters and slappers in the zone! What pitch can a slapper judge better as to perceived location than a pitch they are looking at, at an angle? You can judge a pitch from the side better than you can at the plate. Why? The angle! And you see a lot of college pitchers that think the screwball is a great pitch against lefties. Well perhaps it is, OUT OF the zone. I know at least one person is going to hammer me on this, but it is the natural consequence of physics.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Here are 10 examples of sequences for pitchers with ONLY a Fastball and Changeup. One thing to note, is that for the slapper to be "IN" the box, only the heel of her foot needs to touch the line. That would place her knee almost in the strike zone. For a girl who "cheats" toward the plate, and for LH pitchers as well, you need to take caution. There are 20 more sequences you could post with these two pitches.

Slapper fastball 1.jpgSlapper fastball 2.jpgSlapper fastball 3.jpgSlapper fastball 4.jpgSlapper fastball 5.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Any graphics can be copied. It is my work and I reserve no rights.

As you can see, creating sequences with only 2 pitches is much tougher.

Slapper 10.jpgSlapper fastball 6.jpgSlapper fastball 7.jpgSlapper fastball 8.jpgSlapper fastball 9.jpg

Please come up with other ideas if you can think of any.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA