Catcher setup ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
I would like to hear what everyone thinks about how catchers setup. I was watching a college game the other day and noticed how the catcher setup on the pitch. Catcher would give the sign and then come up out of her squat (butt up high) and has the pitcher was going through her motion the catcher would then step inside or outside based on pitch called. Do you have you catcher moving during the pitch or setup before the pitch?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Depends on the age and skill level of the catcher.

12U and older should move when the pitcher moves as to not give up the location of the pitch.

Jan 15, 2009
It also has to do with the level the pitcher is at. Some pitchers require a target early. As they progress they should be able to visualize a target without catchers glove being there. Had a respected college coach instruct at a clinic that he likes to have catchers glove in position, but relaxed (i.e. glove closed wrist hanging down) right up until the pitch is on the way. His rationale was that holding the glove up and open for more than a few seconds starts to cause tension in the hand/wrist/forearm which can slow down the reaction speed in moving to a breaking ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This was a big deal on my niece's team. She had been taught to set up late. (12U). Then, in comes crazy pitcher's dad complaining that my niece "isn't giving her a target." I told my niece "not to worry about it" and go with the flow.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD is 10U. She gives the sign, looks at the batter to make sure her eyes are on the pitcher and then shifts into her setup prior to the pitch.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
My DD moves inside or out based on the call. The other day she wasn't moving inside and we asked why. She said the Ump told her to not move inside if she expects to get a call over the outside corner. The ump said she couldn't see the outside corner from so far inside behind the catcher.

In between innings I made sure my pitcher was on the same page that on inside pitches the glove would move but not the body. got through the game that way.

Jan 15, 2009
This was a big deal on my niece's team. She had been taught to set up late. (12U). Then, in comes crazy pitcher's dad complaining that my niece "isn't giving her a target." I told my niece "not to worry about it" and go with the flow.

Always a good idea to let Crazy Dad talk slide off like water off a ducks back. But.... the catcher's #1 job is to help get the best performance out of the pitcher possible. I don't think it's a crime for a 10-12 yr old pitcher to need a target to pitch too and if the catcher figures out that it helps the pitcher succeed then you roll with it and worry about the consequences of setting up too early in balance with the need to execute pitches properly.

Jul 26, 2010
Pitchers actually pitch more accurately if they focus on their target later, rather then sooner. Holding the glove out there while the pitcher stares at it does no one any good. I teach my pitchers to look down, spot their landing for their leap, then look up and spot their target, this happens just before release. It isn't as if they dont' know the target area before they start, that's what the sign is for.

-W

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
We have our catchers set up early for our pitchers, however they slightly "hop" into position (in or out) not to give the location away to the dugouts. This is in professional baseball though. Pitching is hard enough without a moving target. Helps the umpire as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32