Can't find any brush instructors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
That's good to hear. If you decide to post a video, make sure you PM me if I don't see it. I like your approach moving forward, sounds like she's in good hands.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Found one!

All of the favorite things found in time for the holidays (not): Wrist snap, slam the door, brush and hello elbow! Plus for added benefit (sarcasm), not letting the kids pitch until all of the wrist snaps, Ts and other chaining are done. (Watch the other videos where no leg work, never mind full pitching, is ever shown, so I guess no pitching for at least three lesson sessions.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lKqOFc2o0I

Please watch the whole thing as you don't want to miss knocking the salt shaker off the shoulder.

As you can see these comprise the "prior" thought process (not saying old school because that would be mischaracterizing the pitchers who pitched on my dad's and other teams earlier, who did other things). I would posit that the four elements are interwoven, and one does not work or have a "place" without the others. That's why we have moved on, based on BHH and others' approaches. All of these work, it is a question of what you want to accomplish with the pitchers or perhaps what torture you want them to go through.

Another out of touch with reality post. You would think that a high school coach would want to learn a thing or two from some of the pitching experts here and not challenge every single thing they share with us for free.

You also would be wise to use the Hanson Principle and then read the pitching threads: Internal Rotation; Drive Mechanics; I/R in the Classroom; Brush Interference; etc threads and compare and contrast that with the mechanics of the best pitchers in the world. You might then realize that the information shared by "our" pitching experts is exceptional (with a capital "E") and rare in the pitching community. These pitching coaches get it and are students of the game.

Lastly, if you really are a softball coach maybe try to educate yourself so you can help your athletes get better, but maybe that is asking for too much?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The "Salt Shaker Drill" made me laugh.

The coach has good intentions. Decent presentation skills. Just horrible content.

2rqn0ns.gif

Certain people despise the Hanson Principle. It isn't a secret why that is the case.

Mar 12, 2009
This video doesn't pertain to anything the experts at DFP try to convey...even this brush. This is everything not to do!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
OILF- I found this little known instructor :) who teaches brushing in this video....in his words..."God's truth".

I find this guy to be very insightful! I put him up there with the best of instructors here. Well, he doesn't seem to post much now. Wish he did.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
OILF- I found this little known instructor :) who teaches brushing in this video....in his words..."God's truth".

Too bad he's never produced any high level pitchers to support his dangerous quackery. Oh wait, that's right he's produced a few All-American pitchers over the years. Never mind.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yeah, but he is "old school" and probably lacks the certifications and experience to coach at a mythical HS in some unknown school district/state/area. And since he is male coach he probably spends his time trying to get females players to feel good and butchering their psyche. All he will do is cause overuse injuries by getting players to whack their hips. Are his pitchers all curveballers? Look, everyone knows the brush is done, time to move on. Good grief! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse