Can you play rec and travel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
depends on local rules really, no national rules against it that I am aware of.

I think for pitchers and catchers looking for reps, good idea (guaranteed reps, regardless of how good ro bad teammates and opposing team are) at the younger ages.

just have to make certain both coaches are aware, and travel coach is on board, and everyone understands the priorities (for us, when DD did both, it was travel game, rec game, travel practice, rec practice, pretty simple really)
She catches so it may be positive. There is only one team within an hour of us and it is C level so maybe that would be okay for her to get started in without having totally give up rec ball for this year. We have been to camps that high level teams put on and a lot of the kids looked miserable, it was obvious their parents were pushing it which makes me a little scared to push her when she may not be ready for it all even the skill is there. I don't want her to lose her joy in playing, but also don't want her feeling stifled. I have also considered putting her in a fall rec ball league in a bigger city which would give her more playing time but no commitment for the whole year. I guess we have to just take it as it comes. Thanks for all the replies.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The mega dual team commitment can be daunting. In almost every case will have conflicts.
Why put so much on the commitment plate.
Why put so much on the body.
Unnecessary imo.

Rec league usually has playing time rules/etiquette.
Travel will not. Will generally cost more.
Debatable wether coaching or talent levels will be better in tb.

Pick one or the other!
Can you imagine a youngster of that age and she will be playing on two teams and that will be at least four coaches probably more at least six coaches will be in her ear.
What are the chances they will all be telling her the same advice.
Not probable.

Pick rec or travel.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our rec league had no rules against it.

We had a team, in rec, we played 1st part of season looked nothing like the Team we played latter in the season.

Not sure how they managed it but it was unfair and annoying.

Apr 28, 2014
When the travel coach asks why one of his pitchers is playing rec and she shares that she needs circle time...coach will get the point...

May 4, 2020
We are considering having my daughter tryout for a 10u travel team. Her rec team this year had 17 girls, needless to say it was hard to get much playing time even though she plays very well. Our lineup is so long that she in batting maybe 3 times per game. They are a great group of girls but she is ready for more. I think.she is ready for travel, however, I know when summer rolls around again she will want to play with her friends in rec ball too, eventually she will play HS ball with these same girls. We are in a small town so basically all the girls in her class play. Is it possible to do both? Can she be on a travel team and play rec ball too?
Yes you can play both. TB takes precedence over Rec ball. In most cases your DD will get more reps and better instruction with TB team.
Expectations are higher in TB. Your expected to practice on your own outside of team practices.
Rec ball is usually pretty much a free for all. Parents expect coaches to turn little Sally into a star player in what amounts to 10 minutes of individual practice during a 2hr team practice. Just not realistic.
Use Rec ball for extra practice and to show off your improved TB skills. 😁

Jul 27, 2020
If you choose to do both then setting expectations with both teams is SUPER important here. Travel Ball will probably be the priority, and if your league coach is not on the same page you may find some resentment from that group. It will drive you apart (not great if your in a small town and these are your daughters friends). Our league allows both, but you are unable to play league AllStars if you were on a travel roster at anytime during the season. My recommendation would be to commit to one or the other. If you don’t feel the League is enough, then try out a travel team. You can always go back to the league.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06