Can you play rec and travel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
We are considering having my daughter tryout for a 10u travel team. Her rec team this year had 17 girls, needless to say it was hard to get much playing time even though she plays very well. Our lineup is so long that she in batting maybe 3 times per game. They are a great group of girls but she is ready for more. I think.she is ready for travel, however, I know when summer rolls around again she will want to play with her friends in rec ball too, eventually she will play HS ball with these same girls. We are in a small town so basically all the girls in her class play. Is it possible to do both? Can she be on a travel team and play rec ball too?

Feb 20, 2020
Most places have rules against girls who are travel rosters playing Rec ball. At least here, you can guest play as a Rec player on a travel team, but you can't go the other way, and you can't be on two rosters at once.

And JJ is right. If you get through the lineup more than twice in a 70-minute clock, it's usually a blowout. The thing about travel ball is, though, you're likely to have three games in a day, so more chance to hit, but not in the same game.

Apr 28, 2014
My DD played both rec and travel from 10 till 13. As a pitcher she had an opportunity to get circle time while building confidence.
Remember travel always takes priority over rec.
Wow... 3 at bats with 17 players. That game must be 3 hours!

Sep 19, 2018
All our local travel girls also play Rec. The org basically ends their season when Little League All-Stars begins so there is no conflict.

May 23, 2015
Sure play both. I would let the organization know who takes priority for practices and games. Thats only right

The only rule I know regarding playing both it All Stars. Some organizations do not allow you to be on a travel roster and all stars

Jun 14, 2019
My DD played both rec and travel from 10 till 13. As a pitcher she had an opportunity to get circle time while building confidence.
Remember travel always takes priority over rec.
Wow... 3 at bats with 17 players. That game must be 3 hours!
They are running about 1.5 hrs. This is her last year of coach pitch and about half the team is right out of tee ball so some innings are pretty quick. She is second batter so she can get three depending on how the innings work out.

Have those of you who did both run into a lot of conflicts? Most of our boys teams play travel but the travel coach is from our town so they work it out.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We are considering having my daughter tryout for a 10u travel team. Her rec team this year had 17 girls, needless to say it was hard to get much playing time even though she plays very well. Our lineup is so long that she in batting maybe 3 times per game. They are a great group of girls but she is ready for more. I think.she is ready for travel, however, I know when summer rolls around again she will want to play with her friends in rec ball too, eventually she will play HS ball with these same girls. We are in a small town so basically all the girls in her class play. Is it possible to do both? Can she be on a travel team and play rec ball too?
How will you make a commitment to each team when schedule conflicts?

Apr 28, 2014
They are running about 1.5 hrs. This is her last year of coach pitch and about half the team is right out of tee ball so some innings are pretty quick. She is second batter so she can get three depending on how the innings work out.

Have those of you who did both run into a lot of conflicts? Most of our boys teams play travel but the travel coach is from our town so they work it out.

We actually had few conflicts. Rec games were Tuesdays and Thursdays. Travel plays weekends and practices were Monday Wednesday. Wasn't an easy task but we got it done!

Jul 8, 2020
If she is "ready for more" then I would say travel you will play better competition. She will make friends on the travel team, but it won't be like the "rec" days. Some travel teams carry big rosters so getting 3 at bats a game is not a given.

I guess a question I have is do you the parent want more or does your DD herself want more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA