Can anyone share their D1 experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There are many dedicated student-athletes playing D3 softball for $0 scholarhip money. While their time commitment may not be as substantial as at a top D1, their effort, sweat, sacrifices, and love of the game are just as real. And unlike the D1 girls, they do have the option of pulling the plug on softball without financial repercusion should their academic workload or dislike of the coaching staff/teammates prove to be too much.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I wanted to share these comments on Cannonball's thread, because it has been so disheartening to read through those three pages, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. I played Division I softball for a Hall of Fame coach and I currently coach Division I under one, as well. I don't refute that there are a lot of kids who find the demanding schedule and expectations of DI softball to be too much; physically or emotionally or otherwise. And I don't fault them for it, either. It is not for everyone.

However...

There is real value in committing to and playing for a team that requires an incredible amount of one's time. Do your legs hurt? Sure. Are you exhausted? Yes. Does it make homework more difficult? Unquestionably. I played for a tough coach. One who expected a lot. One who made me cut up my legs diving for ball after ball during practice while only focusing on the one that got passed me into the outfield. One who expected more of me than I ever expected of myself. About a decade after graduating; there is no one on the planet, to include my parents, that I love and respect more.

I have coached since I graduated. Some coaches are narcissists. Some are jerks. I'm sorry if your daughter plays for one of them. Some people outside of athletics are narcissists and jerks, as well. It's just how it goes. As for me, I love to hang the artwork from my players' painting classes on my wall. I attend their orchestra concerts. I throw the weight of our team and our athletic department behind charitable causes that mean something to the kids who currently play for me. I expect them to get better, because they haven't reached their potential...because I see more in them than they see in themselves and not only is it my job to bring that out in them...it is my calling, my passion.

Does it take a whole lot of time to be a successful DI softball player? Without a doubt. Do the players sit in the training room before practice and groan and complain about their aches and the three hour practice ahead? Of course they do. But are they reduced to tears after that last pitch is thrown in their career? Trust me, they are. So am I, for them.

It's not for everyone. And that's ok. But not all coaches, not all DI coaches, are in it only to win it. Some of us recognize that we are not just coaching softball, but people who play softball. Many of us would jump in front of a train for our players. Many of us are in the office late into the night for our players. Do your due diligence when choosing a school, but know that there are wonderful people who happen also to be in charge of softball programs...and that while nothing is ever perfect, some athletic experiences are as rewarding as they are challenging.

This is the type of coach that DD loves to play for ! Hopefully, DD will find a coach with this passion who wants her to play for them before her 2019 graduation date.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Many years ago I played D1 Basketball. I turned down two PAC-12 (PAC 10 back then) schools because they insisted I take one of 4 or 5 'approved' Majors. Basically they tried to position it as 'Programs that work well with our schedule' but in reality it was code for 'easy stuff that will keep you eligible if you can read and write'. I ended up at a mid-D1 MAC school where I had a great time - but then I LOVED the game.

Time wise it was a lot - but it wasn't much more than what I was already putting in because I did love the game - but now I also had about half the team who also loved the game doing it with me and it was more organized. The other half who complained either hated it, came out better by sticking with it or just liked complaining - or left the team (because the playing time v effort was not enough if you didn't love the game).

It is more than OK to be a big fish or even a medium size fish in a small pond. I don't know how my playing time would have been in the bigger PAC-12 but I played and started every game over 4 years at the school I went to. That was probably a big deal in making the work worthwhile as well.

People I met through my program have been a big part of my work life. I did some work in the program after I graduated and my eligibility was over. While I never worked with anyone I played with, at least 2 of my teammates work for another teammate. And I have both sold and bought services/goods to companies ex-teammates were involved in. I was also able to get one of my teammates some professional contacts in basketball in my home country where he was very successful and continues to live there and coach now his career is over (he is also a naturalized citizen there as well).

I hire a LOT of ex-athletes with good degrees. When I am choosing who to talk to amongst 100+ similar looking resumes with degrees and experience, this is a big differentiator for me. It may not directly get you hired, but it will get you some opportunities you may not have had in the past - once you get in the door it is up to you to impress.

My advice is always figure out what your major is and your backup if you decide you hate your first option and chase the schools that offer these opportunities. Don't go into a major because the athletic department wants you to - if one program wants you, you will find another one. There is nothing wrong with writing to a coach and saying "XX school offered me a scholarship/roster spot but I really want to major in X and would love to do it at your college"

Last edited: