Can anyone share their D1 experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I've talked to 2 people recently that have played D1 ball. One baseball and one softball and both hated it. The young lady lasted one year and the man 2 years before transferring to a D2. Both thought it was too much work with no life outside the team. The baseball player did have a good experience at the D2 level mainly because he got a lot of playing time.
Anyone have any experience with the D1 level?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Year round.
5 am get up and eat.
6 am hitting
7 am team workout and or weights
9am class
3pm practice
6pm weights/hitting/pitching/rehab etc
8pm homework
10pm bed

rinse and repeat 45 weeks a year. Grades are very hard to keep up being practice and team workouts were during study hours and normal tutor times.

Dec 7, 2011
I think ya need to distinguish between BIG D1 versus mid-small D1.

My opinion, with DD going into the mid-D1 next year that it will not have anywhere near the saturation in her life as if she were to play for the gators (as an example).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Year round.
5 am get up and eat.
6 am hitting
7 am team workout and or weights
9am class
3pm practice
6pm weights/hitting/pitching/rehab etc
8pm homework
10pm bed

rinse and repeat 45 weeks a year. Grades are very hard to keep up being practice and team workouts were during study hours and normal tutor times.

Yeah, that is pretty much the college life of my DD. However, to the OPs point that regimen it is not reserved for D1. It can be found wherever there is a competitive, intense program. There is this myth that because a program or athlete is "D1" it implies some high level competitiveness or skill. There a some D1 programs that have a striking resemblance to rec-ball. Before signing your NLI you better do your homework and know what you are or are not getting into. DD's team started with over 20 players. They are down to about 14. Some just could not handle it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

My opinion, with DD going into the mid-D1 next year that it will not have anywhere near the saturation in her life as if she were to play for the gators (as an example).

Very true. If you want to play for Florida or any of the big D1 programs you better be ready to check out of your current life.

Oct 10, 2011
D1

This particular girl was mid D1.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DW was busy, but not really anymore than kids that were going to school and had jobs. She did have to do a 5th year (light schedule) to graduate. If D1 sports were that big of a toll, how do football and basketball players find all the time to get arrested?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DW was busy, but not really anymore than kids that were going to school and had jobs. She did have to do a 5th year (light schedule) to graduate. If D1 sports were that big of a toll, how do football and basketball players find all the time to get arrested?

They have to go to class?

Oct 10, 2011
jobs

That's a good point. I worked all through college but I was able to squeeze in a few parties:)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My brother and I played D1, his son is now playing D1. It's EXHAUSTING!! As far as women sports are concerned, there is no "chance" of a BIG payoff, unless you are the .0000001% who get endorsements.

Don't get me wrong, winning a D1 national championship is every athletes dream. On the other side of that coin, some leave D1 college with a useless degree, or incur 10's of 1000's of dollars in student loans after ball to get a decent degree.

Personally I had fun, I love ball, in case you haven't noticed. Baseball gave me opportunity to travel and see places I never would have without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole