Can anyone share their D1 experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Granted, my D1 experience was 20 years ago, but I can vouch for what lessons have carried all of this time: I'd say the main one is a strong inner core and the confidence of knowing that I will succeed in a task, eventually. No matter how many times I try and fail, I believe that I will eventually succeed. And for the most part I have - I think anyone can, given enough perseverance. I know that I accomplished something that was very hard, and that has carried me through. To this day I still say to myself, "well, would I rather be doing this or 10 suicides in a row?" My answer is usually "this." Except maybe watching DD pitch in a one run ball game. I've decided that I'd take the suicides over that one :)

If you look at 50 hours/week year-round and a $40,000 education (including everything) - it comes out to just under minimum wage. Not bad, really, if you think about it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is from a young lady that played two sports (VB and SB) at a mid DI that is playing her last college games this weekend.

There's way too many people to thank and too many blessings to count. (Blank College) had given me an opportunity to pursue an athletic career that one can only dream of. Receiving the award tonight was an honor, and I can't thank XYZ, (Blank College) Athletics, and everyone I've had a chance to work with here. The support I've had the last four years is incredible. I couldn't have asked for better teammates and coaches, and my family has been with me every step of the way. Basically, thanks to everyone who's supported me in my decision to pursue both sports in college. You guys are great and I couldn't have done any of it without you guys!!

Yes, she is a very nice young lady. My dd played against her growing up. Good luck to her in her future endeavors!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't want to hijack this thread and so, will attempt to make another thread on college softball. Of course, I might decide against it as well once I start typing it.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Indiana: The only thing worse than watching the DD pitch in a 1 run game is to see her pitch in a 1 run game, be down 1 and be up to bat, bottom 7, 2 outs with the tying run on at 3rd & the winning run on at second...." the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat".

Ice cream either way on the drive home, but you need way more napkins if she doesn't get a hit.

The only thing that comes close in FH is when the state playoff games go to strokes....just like PK's in World Cup Soccer....awful.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am close to 3 D1 athletes from 3 different top programs. Softball, baseball and football. The football kid was forced to play even though he had a shoulder separation. He had a red shirt year and took 5 years, to graduate. He had a sports adm. degree and then, had to go back to school, on his own dime to get a degree that was marketable. (Physical therapy.)

The softball gal said that the pressure to perform was unreasonable. She played every game, for 4 years. But, others always had it hung over their heads that their scholarship was for 1 year, only. Other people want your spot. She was "encouraged" to get a history degree, that she didn't want. She went back to college on her own and added Business, to her degree.

The baseball guy was a #1 pick and looked certain to go to the MLB. We don't know what happened, but he didn't get through triple A. He had a sports management degree and went back to a smaller school and got a teaching degree.

I don't think that these kids regret the time that they were on scholarship, but it is really a lot different, than it looks on TV.

Apr 6, 2014
Austin, TX
Hello, I'm Chez.

School: University of Texas
Graduated: 2006
Position: 2B/SS
Experience: 3 WCWS, 2 Big XII Championships

I think it's important to recognize that playing collegiate sports is a job. If you're a scholarship athlete, the expectation is for you to perform both on the field and in the classroom. Not everyone can handle the expectations and responsibilities. I was fortunate enough to be on a team that had WCWS potential, so that was always our motivation for competing and performing.

Fall Season: Lighter Load & Focus on Fundamentals. Because we are limited on the hours we practice in the fall, players spend time in small groups for half the fall to focus on fundamentals and skill development. The other half is team practice.
- 6am weights/conditioning: Build Strength
- 8am practice 1-2 hours depending on individuals vs. team practice
- class
- study hall or tutors

Spring: Heavier Load to be Game Ready
- 6am weights/conditioning: Maintain strength
- Class
- Practice: 2-3 hours
- Study Hall

I coach at a small D1 and see the challenges our players face with staying motivated to compete and perform. What's the payoff for them? It all depends on how the player perceives the situation.

Experience and adversity can often be the best forms of education.

Dec 3, 2008
I wanted to share these comments on Cannonball's thread, because it has been so disheartening to read through those three pages, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. I played Division I softball for a Hall of Fame coach and I currently coach Division I under one, as well. I don't refute that there are a lot of kids who find the demanding schedule and expectations of DI softball to be too much; physically or emotionally or otherwise. And I don't fault them for it, either. It is not for everyone.

However...

There is real value in committing to and playing for a team that requires an incredible amount of one's time. Do your legs hurt? Sure. Are you exhausted? Yes. Does it make homework more difficult? Unquestionably. I played for a tough coach. One who expected a lot. One who made me cut up my legs diving for ball after ball during practice while only focusing on the one that got passed me into the outfield. One who expected more of me than I ever expected of myself. About a decade after graduating; there is no one on the planet, to include my parents, that I love and respect more.

I have coached since I graduated. Some coaches are narcissists. Some are jerks. I'm sorry if your daughter plays for one of them. Some people outside of athletics are narcissists and jerks, as well. It's just how it goes. As for me, I love to hang the artwork from my players' painting classes on my wall. I attend their orchestra concerts. I throw the weight of our team and our athletic department behind charitable causes that mean something to the kids who currently play for me. I expect them to get better, because they haven't reached their potential...because I see more in them than they see in themselves and not only is it my job to bring that out in them...it is my calling, my passion.

Does it take a whole lot of time to be a successful DI softball player? Without a doubt. Do the players sit in the training room before practice and groan and complain about their aches and the three hour practice ahead? Of course they do. But are they reduced to tears after that last pitch is thrown in their career? Trust me, they are. So am I, for them.

It's not for everyone. And that's ok. But not all coaches, not all DI coaches, are in it only to win it. Some of us recognize that we are not just coaching softball, but people who play softball. Many of us would jump in front of a train for our players. Many of us are in the office late into the night for our players. Do your due diligence when choosing a school, but know that there are wonderful people who happen also to be in charge of softball programs...and that while nothing is ever perfect, some athletic experiences are as rewarding as they are challenging.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Experience and adversity can often be the best forms of education.

THIS is what I see as having been the BEST molding force to my DD so far!
THIS is why TB-A players (the committed) come out ready for whatever the world has to offer.

I am sure DD's experience in college will just cement this further.

Dec 7, 2011
There is real value in committing to and playing for a team that requires an incredible amount of one's time.

Awesome 1-2 punch from Chesare and Softball_2 supporting providing your kids with this kind of challenge. There is a fine line between forcing a kid and urging them to commit and succeed whilst supporting their rebounding through adversity.

I still submit a child not having committed to SOMETHING that requires hard investment and conquering adversity comes out as a less adjusted and prepared adult.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Wow, I was getting second thoughts about letting DD continue down this road in her attempt to play college ball but the posts from Chezaré Sievers and Softball_2 have renewed the idea that there is a lot of good to be had in the endeavor. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole