Can anyone share their D1 experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
....As a former hiring manager one of my favorite questions was "Tell me about a time when you produced great results while under pressure?". That would have been my Junior year. We were in the last inning..AND I HIT A HR TO WIN THE GAME. Who will get the job the one with that story or the one that starts out with One time at band camp..I PERFORMED AN EMERGENCY TRACHEOTOMY WITH A FLUTE REED TO SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE.

No offense intended to those with music degrees as you typically make much better analysts than athletes. :)

Not offended, I'm not an analyst or a music major, just doing a little editing to include a dose of reality.
Unless you can find a way to get paid to play or sit in the ESPN booth spouting SB nonesense, I think the future is far brighter for 99% of college student athletes as a financial or other type of analyst than as an athlete. Who knows how you calculate your mileage?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD#1 who played D1 softball at a mid-major and DD#3 who played D3 hoops for a top D3 school.

DD#1 either practicing softball, playing softball or weight lifting six days a week for 10 months out of the year. Monday through Saturday, her day started at 6 AM with weight lifting. The emphasis was "softball first, education second". Her grades were not great in college--she got out with a 3.2. She did go get her masters degree, twice. She had excellent grades for her masters.

DD#3 played D3 hoops for a very competitive school. Hoops is a lot more predictable than softball--there are no rainouts and therefore no practices or games to make up. She conditioned during the fall for perhaps two hours a day five a week. She also played on an "unofficial" school team during the summer. During the season, there was a three to four hour practice every day they weren't playing a game.

DD#1 probably devoted two to three times more time to sports than DD#3.

DD#3 was able to get some concessions from her coach when there was a conflict between classes and practices. Because the D3 school was small (4000 students), most of her instructors would show some leniency about when her assignments were due. DD#1 would get no help from any of her classes, and, as stated previously, the coach didn't care if she missed class.

After college, there are benefits for a woman played college sports. They have an ability to do "male sports talk", which is valuable in dealing with upper management.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
DW was busy, but not really anymore than kids that were going to school and had jobs. She did have to do a 5th year (light schedule) to graduate. If D1 sports were that big of a toll, how do football and basketball players find all the time to get arrested?

Was thinking the same thing. I know my D1 college hockey experience wasn't nearly as intense as what I'm reading here. I never had to wake up at 5am. Ever. There are a lot of restrictions about the number of hours a student athlete can spend on athletics. Riseball's schedule would require about 7 hours per day of training/practice. I'm highly skeptical of that. Hockey has to be at least as competitive as softball, and we spent nowhere near 7 hours a day practicing and training.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not offended, I'm not an analyst or a music major, just doing a little editing to include a dose of reality.
Unless you can find a way to get paid to play or sit in the ESPN booth spouting SB nonesense, I think the future is far brighter for 99% of college student athletes as a financial or other type of analyst than as an athlete. Who knows how you calculate your mileage?

That was kind of my point. Not even close to suggesting athletics beyond college or a job in the booth.

May I suggest a clarinet reed for the tracheotomy for possibly a cello string as a tourniquet? :)

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
This is from a young lady that played two sports (VB and SB) at a mid DI that is playing her last college games this weekend.

There's way too many people to thank and too many blessings to count. (Blank College) had given me an opportunity to pursue an athletic career that one can only dream of. Receiving the award tonight was an honor, and I can't thank XYZ, (Blank College) Athletics, and everyone I've had a chance to work with here. The support I've had the last four years is incredible. I couldn't have asked for better teammates and coaches, and my family has been with me every step of the way. Basically, thanks to everyone who's supported me in my decision to pursue both sports in college. You guys are great and I couldn't have done any of it without you guys!!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
While there is no career in softball after college for most all, the schedule and pressure does help them cope later in life with "real-life events" later in life.

DD had her first child last August, and when she went back to teaching in November, she called me and was telling me she wasn't sure she would be able to handle it all.

I said "do you remember your schedule in college? If you can handle that, you can handle anything."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball