Bustos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In the clip above, if the instructor were to have this hitter rotate the chest/shoulders back to where it started while leaving the lower(pelvis turned open) the way it is, perhaps there would be some merit if it was described as a pass through?

Not sure I'm picturing what you mean .... sounds like the Epstein drill.

Here's a complete sequence of the vertical stacked forearm swing.

551b4h.gif

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
It's a dynamic movement not a static position. Not Epstein like flatten and torque. The flattening must happen within the dynamic movement.

Nov 29, 2011

551b4h.gif

I assume some want the top hand in front of the elbow at the slot or rvp your calling it??

I actually think this movement is great in teaching beginners -I've done similar with great results in getting the shoulders and elbows working together, I just wish the elbow was tucked in close to her body, just clearing her hip as it passes. She also is a little vertical. Who really knows what there working on though?!?!?

It seems this coach is more concerned with the way the upper half is working with the lower half, watch his focus?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

551b4h.gif

I assume some want the top hand in front of the elbow at the slot or rvp your calling it??

I actually think this movement is great in teaching beginners -I've done similar with great results in getting the shoulders and elbows working together, I just wish the elbow was tucked in close to her body, just clearing her hip as it passes. She also is a little vertical. Who really knows what there working on though?!?!?

It seems this coach is more concerned with the way the upper half is working with the lower half, watch his focus?

There are so many things hurtful with this demonstration that it is difficult as to where to begin. The large spacing between the rear elbow and body is actually being encouraged.

Notice the similar "wide space" here as well.

2co0sbq.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There are some striking similarities in the videos above to the video that Mann started the thread with. Perhaps this is why there has been an unwillingness to describe the demonstration/drill in detail.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The large spacing between the rear elbow and body is actually being encouraged.

Notice the similar "wide space" here as well.

2co0sbq.gif

If someone was to focus on the truly "vertical stack" (not saying it is something I have any interest in), it seems as though forcing the rear elbow away from the body would be the only way to accomplish it. Perhaps that is the goal of this type of instruction.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If someone was to focus on the truly "vertical stack" (not saying it is something I have any interest in), it seems as though forcing the rear elbow away from the body would be the only way to accomplish it. Perhaps that is the goal of this type of instruction.

It is true that a goal of a vertical stacked rear forearm would result in further displacement of the elbow away from the body. That excuse was actually used in one argument to support having a vertically stacked forearm. The excuse was that large chested ladies needed to swing this way. That however was just an excuse and more a demonstration of not properly understanding swing fundamentals.

Not long ago we had a few posters discussing the virtues of not swinging in the "frontal plane", but in the "sagittal plane".

I had one hitter that was so large that she went through two breast reduction surgeries. At no point, did she ever need a modified swing because of her extremely large bust size.

Maybe this here will help ....

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
I do not mind this clip of Bustos.

sndu35.gif

Hands above ball, hands inside ball, keep hands loaded.

can I see the proper way to see how to hit a ball above your neck? and inside.

As a matter of fact, as I look at it, I was just teaching someone how to keep their head ball side of that inside pitch.

I do not like or use SIDE TOSS, so there on that, but I like the low ball work, I use a traffic cone, pop bottle sounds a little more forgiving though.

Lots of my work with players resembles what I see her doing, staying connected on the turn, with still loaded hands, and pivot.

It will transfer over into a nice whip.

Bustos was at Sppoky Nook today at the Jenny Finch camp. Her session was the very best of the day.
She did nothing but Tee work with the girls. She demonstrated this very snap wrist type turn.
Spoke for 15 minutes about how the worst thing you can do is teach a girl to have a level swing. She was great!