Bucket dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD likes pitching clincs and the other parents next to me probably should have gear, since she is aiming for me I feel pretty safe and do not wear any gear.

Edit:

40’ isn’t a problem. When she does her ½ and ¾ drills I need to back her up a little bit so I am comfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
8-12u I used nothing but my old ball glove.

14-16u bought me a catchers mitt.

17 now and I occasionally will slide on shin guards, if not I'll put on some steel toe shoes just incase. I can handle most of her pitches good except the drop. I can't tell if I'm getting older, or she's getting faster. :p

Oct 22, 2009
I try very hard to get my parents to wear gear. Over the years I've seen a few injuries. I had a friend who had a ball hit her in the head and cut her head open right above the eye. They were alone at a park when it happened and her daughter panicked and called 911. She was pretty embarrassed when about 7 emergency vehicles responded to the scene.

I got shin guards after catching one my DD's pitches on the inside of the calf. It opened up all my blood vessels and the side of my calf filled up with blood. I had this sack of blood hanging from my leg, it was extremely painful. I've also taken a change-up to the eye. Was wearing sunglasses and it broke my glasses and cut me under the eye as well as giving me a black eye.

Just last week one my dad's had a ball tip off his mitt and catch him below the eye, in my class. I saw him yesterday and the eye is still purple and a little swollen, he said it looked pretty bad the day after it happened.

Had another catcher -older sister, 22yrs old ex-player, say she was going to catch one more warm up before putting on her mask, and bam, got one in the chin and opened it up.

I have a dad that wears a small mask, I really like it and would suggest it to most bucket parents.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I wore gear with both my DDs. I started around 14U for DD#1 and 12U for DD#3. One of my "bucket daddy" friends got his jaw fractured. After that, I wore umpire shin guards and a mask. After I started, I wondered why I waited so long.

May 18, 2009
I was catching for my youngest yesterday and almost had a mishap. I didn't think I would use gear at this age but that hop off the front of the plate almost got me. 40mph doesn't seem fast until it's trajectory changes in an instant. The only thing that saved me is the ball went above my head. One of the high school girls was going to catch for my DD last week and her coach told her to put her face mask back on. Said she threw hard enough that it was necessary. Now I know why.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Off topic a little bit but if you are catching and there is a wall behind you, duck if you miss the ball. Do not turn around to try and find or catch the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516