Bucket dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Face mask, leg guards and a little stool.

I use to be quick enough or she was slow enough that I could get bad throws....inside/high/outside with quick effort. Got to where I couldn't and would just let them go. When she got to that level....indoor workouts were dangerous on drop balls and I had to start gearing up. Stayed geared up outdoors and had alot less bruises!

Mar 1, 2013
I need to invest in some equipment. My shins are killing me. My 12u DD is up to 50MPH and we've been practicing in our basement this winter as we live in a Northern climate. The problem is my basement walls are only 38 feet, so by the time you give her some space, I estimate we have 33 to 32 feet from mound to plate, and she's been skipping some off the concrete occasionally. Seems like every time we practice pitching, her speed is up and my courage is down.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It took one bad hop to the shin for me to start with shin guards (12U).
I started wearing a mask the first time I jerked my head on a late breaking high curve (14U).
Since then I have seen 2 parents take one to the face. I don't care what anyone thinks,
I feel good on the bucket. I am now waiting for my black toe to heal but have not invested
steel toe shoes yet. Her drop curve is nasty at 56-58 mph but my reflexes are still pretty good.....

Oct 22, 2009
I will have to admit that I still chuckle to myself when I walk into the indoor training facility and see a dad wearing shin guards and a face mask to catch his 10 year old who could not break 40 MPH if her life depended on it! LOL

I had a dad once that caught his DD, she was throwing close to 45mph. Dad was a cop, and this is the part where I say, "Bless his heart"......but I don't think he had a dad while growing up, or at least one that ever took him out to play catch because he could not catch. He had no concept on how it was done. So he basically just swatted at the balls as they got near his face. It would scare me to death and I begged him to wear a mask but he was a, ahem.."tough guy" so he refused.

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
2 tips and 2 observations. Keep your chin down and never turn your head to the side if you are wearing a mask. Attack/move forward on short balls. The lip on the plate will bite you sooner or later. A pitcher will advance quicker if they don't have to worry about hurting the person catching them.

Lol, my husband and dad only wish the girls 'worried' about hitting them. I've seen some pretty rough bruises and both girls try so hard not to laugh.

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
Lol, my husband and dad only wish the girls 'worried' about hitting them. I've seen some pretty rough bruises and both girls try so hard not to laugh.

That's the truth in my case, I think DD has it in for me. It might break her spirit if I geared up...

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
AC for local high school. I like to have the catcher and myself catch for pitchers. I get them warmed up and the real catcher takes over. I still wear shin guards and a cup because it might sound crazy but high school girls lose focus every once and a while. Good thing the baseball field is on the other side of campus or else I'd look like a blind prizefighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard