Brush interference vs. releasing at front leg mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Really surprised to read this question from you, when you know the answer..........

You know Skinner can't show you a clip of anyone with good form doing what he says.........

A good release happens mid-pelvis..........Just after the rear leg........

Her pc is a release out front advocate and now I'm not sure I agree. My dd has been taking a 6 week hiatus from her pitching coach and is frequently brushing her leg and releasing prior to her front leg now. Accuracy is fine, probably better now, but that is just a up/down thing anyway's. I never corrected it as I wanted to see the difference. Thanks DFP.

She'll be starting back in a couple weeks and I can hear her pc telling her to release out front. That is how she has been taught for the past 2 years.

Please help educate me with the difference of the two using just a fastball or flip drop as an example. I like the new look. Much tighter spin on all pitches. Don't want to irritate her pc, but I think heading back to a release out front, might be a step backwards. Stride and drive. She's 15. Her pc was successful with the out front release so that is where that came from.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm trying to picture how to release at the front hip without bending forward or closing hard with the shoulders.

Hal--some video of how to do this would be really helpful.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Thanks Rick. My daughter does a pretty good job of throwing with i/r (after a year of other stuff) but she has always avoided the brushing and I wanted her to try it without the distraction of a PC trying to "fix" it.

Boardmember, I'm trying to understand why the arm coming thru with the ball is consider a way of throwing faster by some pitching coaches.

Maybe Hal is related to my DD's pitching coach.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Dont keep a library of pitching videos. Most of the college pitchers you see in videos here and on tv stop the elbow at the back leg. Doing that will not produce the fastest ball speed they they COULD have.

When I pitched, I brushed my hip, used leap and drag mechanics and released out in front. I threw faster than any other pitcher I ever went up against or saw. All my students used those same mechanics.

Went to some college tournaments years ago but never took a video camera. Saw no need for one.

If you click on my signature where it says 'Wish your pitcher threw this fast" you will see a video of a Leap and drag pitcher thast releases out in front. She recently signed with BYU, just started her freshman year.. Clocked at 69mph. Just threw her first game for them. Didnt give up a hit till the 6th inning and won 6-1. She has been using my advice on speed building since she was 11. Please note that video was made when she was 14-years-old.

Only video I can reference but keep an eye on BYU this year :)

No video no proof. I can show you 10 students of mine that throw 60-70 mph! I will post mine when you post yours!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12