Brush interference vs. releasing at front leg mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Her pc is a release out front advocate and now I'm not sure I agree. My dd has been taking a 6 week hiatus from her pitching coach and is frequently brushing her leg and releasing prior to her front leg now. Accuracy is fine, probably better now, but that is just a up/down thing anyway's. I never corrected it as I wanted to see the difference. Thanks DFP.

She'll be starting back in a couple weeks and I can hear her pc telling her to release out front. That is how she has been taught for the past 2 years.

Please help educate me with the difference of the two using just a fastball or flip drop as an example. I like the new look. Much tighter spin on all pitches. Don't want to irritate her pc, but I think heading back to a release out front, might be a step backwards. Stride and drive. She's 15. Her pc was successful with the out front release so that is where that came from.

Jul 26, 2010
Unless your PC videos your daughter regularly, my guess is that they have no idea where the ball is actually released.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
There is no doubt where the release point is when releasing out front. You do not stop the elbow at the back leg. The release point is just ahead of the front hip.

Your pitching coach knows what he / she is talking about. With the release out in front, you are not limited to what movement pitches you can throw and you are certainly not being limited to only up and down movement.

You will also achieve the best speed with the release out in front of the hip, like the rulebook calls for. Not sure who gave brushing the hip with the forearm the name 'Brush interference;, like it was somethning you would not want to do. I have compared it to the timing mark of an engine. When that timing is correct, your engine runs smooth, reaches full power and top speeds. If that timing is off, the engine will not.

Your instructor can probably teach her much more than an instructor using different mechanics. Your instructor can turn out champions, other instructors will turm out 'Justy another pitcher'. Stay with what you have started, its the best way, despite what many on this board have been convinced of.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Hal, I get what you are saying and appreciate you taking the time to respond. That is what her pc say's also. Could you post a clip of a college girl throwing that way? I can't seem to find anyone who is releasing after the front hip so I end up questioning the validity of it. Thanks

I also don't get the "fastest" part of it. Could you elaborate?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hal,
Fast forward to 2:37 to see if this video is representative of what you mean by releasing at the front hip:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Dont keep a library of pitching videos. Most of the college pitchers you see in videos here and on tv stop the elbow at the back leg. Doing that will not produce the fastest ball speed they they COULD have.

When I pitched, I brushed my hip, used leap and drag mechanics and released out in front. I threw faster than any other pitcher I ever went up against or saw. All my students used those same mechanics.

Went to some college tournaments years ago but never took a video camera. Saw no need for one.

If you click on my signature where it says 'Wish your pitcher threw this fast" you will see a video of a Leap and drag pitcher thast releases out in front. She recently signed with BYU, just started her freshman year.. Clocked at 69mph. Just threw her first game for them. Didnt give up a hit till the 6th inning and won 6-1. She has been using my advice on speed building since she was 11. Please note that video was made when she was 14-years-old.

Only video I can reference but keep an eye on BYU this year :)

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"Ken B;204173]Hal,
Fast forward to 2:37 to see if this video is representative of what you mean by releasing at the front hip:"

That would be releasing in front of the front hip and not at the front hip. That would be the case for most pitches. However, any drop ball spin would be released closer to the front hip if not at the front hip.

She has a different follow through for what seems like every movement pitch her pop is callinmg for. A few of them sort of raised my eyebrows but ithey seem to work really well for her.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
She has a different follow through for what seems like every movement pitch her pop is callinmg for. A few of them sort of raised my eyebrows but ithey seem to work really well for her.

She is the girl you referenced in you signature line.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I'm getting confused as I thought the brushing of the lower arm was like a pivot point for lower arm rotation for release. How does the brushing work when your arm keeps traveling forward? I'm not understanding.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Abbygale, I think you should take a look at the creating spin thread, Rick Pauly just posted a great very, very slow motion video of his daughter showing brush interference. He strongly recommends this as does Doug Gillis and a number of other persons on this site. With all due respect to the very talented young lady whose video is posted on this thread, I am not sure that I would recommend having your daughter emulate her mechanics with that forward lean at 2:54- that can't be good for her back.:confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13