Borrowing Equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2021
Can I ask an etiquette question? What is the usual procedure with borrowing bats? My girls are little and just starting out, so we picked up some middle of the road (I think) composites that they like the feel of. Normally, I don’t mind sharing; however, if a crack happens, I’d rather it by my kid doing it. Is that a fair outlook, or am I being ridiculous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2015
South
You did not mention the age of your girls but I am assuming they are 8U or younger. It is very unlikely that they will crack a bat so let them share. As time goes on, every girl will want her own bat so the situation will take care of itself.

May 29, 2015
At younger ages and just starting out … I would encourage sharing bats so that kids can experiment and find what they really like, not what somebody says they should be using.

Nobody at that level is cracking anything unless they are misusing it … but kids should be taught that NO bat, no matter how cheap, should ever hit anything other than a ball.

May 1, 2018
Composite bats have a break in period, so the more swing you get the better. Plus they are 10.....it's not gonna break.

Jul 6, 2021
Thanks, everyone. I’ll try to relax a bit. I wasn’t so worried about a crack hitting a ball. It was the part where the bat was being hit with another bat that had me worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
After seeing this footage of practice, I can understand the concern …

LY9I.gif

Jun 26, 2019
At younger ages and just starting out … I would encourage sharing bats so that kids can experiment and find what they really like, not what somebody says they should be using.

Nobody at that level is cracking anything unless they are misusing it … but kids should be taught that NO bat, no matter how cheap, should ever hit anything other than a ball.

I agree, but I would replace ball with softball. For her 10th birthday I got my daughter a shirt that says “I am the reason we can’t have nice things “ I am picturing front toss with a bowling ball lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619