Simply frustrated - opportunities for playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes! I’m also frustrated that I was stupid enough to fall for it this whole time. And now that I’m ready to run, my DD is saying she wants to finish the season (1 big road trip tournament left) because she made a commitment to the team and they might need her. It breaker my heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! You have raised an intelligent, responsible young lady. I agree with her. Don't leave the team in a lurch.

Live and learn. It is better you figured this out now rather than three years for now.

Your DD needs to be on the field 75% of the time.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
Congratulations! You have raised an intelligent, responsible young lady.

I agree with her. Don't leave the team in a lurch.

Oh, they’d be fine! They still have the other 11! And they were already talking of taking 2 pick ups.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes! I’m also frustrated that I was stupid enough to fall for it this whole time. And now that I’m ready to run, my DD is saying she wants to finish the season (1 big road trip tournament left) because she made a commitment to the team and they might need her. It breaker my heart!

At this point in the season, I agree with your DD. Also, this is her journey. Her opinion needs to carry a lot of weight in these kinds of decisions.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I hate these stories.

Coaches need about 12 kids to consistently field a team. The good coaches work hard to make all 12 kids competitive, and they give each kid playing time.

The bad coaches doe what they are doing to your DD: They mislead parents just to keep a kid on the team.

Your coaches, for whatever reason, already had their starting nine picked, and your DD is not one of them.

Run.
its like softball ground hog day annoyance,
Some player, somewhere, it will happen to again...

Last edited by a moderator:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Oh, they’d be fine! They still have the other 11! And they were already talking of taking 2 pick ups.

Loyalty and commitment are two-way streets. If a team wasn't playing my kid, and were even bringing in pick-ups, I'd have zero problem with staying home. Better yet, take her on a short trip that weekend that has nothing to do with softball. Everyone will have more fun than paying to ride the bench.

Feb 20, 2020
Just get out. Let her finish the season, then move on. Don't listen to the coach if they try to get you to stay, but there's no reason to burn a bridge. You don't want a coach asking about your daughter and having "she skipped the last tourney" as an answer.

And after the season, talk to the parents of the other three bench players. If all of you leave, it could give the coaches a message they need to hear, and if you all try out together, they might end up on the same squad, sort of solving the friends question.

Apr 28, 2014
At 12U DD was one of 5 pitchers on her team.
Coaches would never let her pitch... would lie to her and tell her they would get her in then pitch the other 4 all the time.
It created a drive so intense that she worked until her fingers bled.
She's 17 now and committed to her dream school at the D1 level. We just got home from a long and hot day at the fields where she carried her team in the circle to victory in the second bracket game of the day at the 18u gold level.
At 12u everything seems so important but trust me it's not. She will work and get better and truth be told this lack of playing time will result in her being more motivated than ever. Yes you will need to get her on a team with more opportunities but push her hard to get better and she will!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad