Simply frustrated - opportunities for playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2019
I’ll try to keep this short, and will probably fail. Topic at hand: playing time, surprise, I know. We’ve been on this team for 1.5 years. It’s a second year 12u team. Originally, we made the 10th player. Team lost one and picked up 3 more so we sit at 12 on the roster. It’s the same 9 playing all the time, same 3 sitting all the time. If a “starter” sits, then it’s the same 3 who rotate filling that spot. We have consistently preached commitment as well as effort and attitude with our DD. She has approached the coach at least 4 times asking for feedback on what she can do to get in the field. Most times the response is “just keep working, you’ve improved greatly”. Additionally, she has put in the work off the field to make those improvements. However, she doesn’t get the opportunity to show the improvements. She attends every practice & performs at the same level of the regular 9. When asked what determines playing time, she was told “game performance & [the coaches] comfort level”. Ok, here’s my question...if you don’t get the opportunity to perform in the game, then how do you show game performance? We’re coming up on the last tournament of the season and DD has had the opportunity for 5 plays in the outfield. 2 grounders for singles, 2 line drives for singles and 1 fly out. While the others have made 2/7 catches in the outfield, some plays resulting in doubles and even ground ball errors resulting in 2 runs scored and a triple. What am i missing? Obviously, hits will be good and they are simply that, a good hard hit that yields a double. But these are plays that i have watched where they’re not tracking the ball and they get burnt, chasing the ball to the fence, etc to get it in. And it happens consistently.

We are going to change teams, that’s a given. But dang, what’s the secret here to be seen as a potentially great addition to your defense instead of assumed you can’t do any better than what’s out there?

FWIW-some on their starting 9 have upwards of 4 positions that they rotate thru. While they are great at some of them, some of them, they simply aren’t. And my DD is used as the DH, so hitting isn’t the issue.

Like i said, simply frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Keep asking, keep working hard. And most importantly, keep looking for the right team. You're simply not on it.

In practices, we see very few girls really go all out. Very few dive, very few run hard all the time. If you want to show coaches, hustle on and off the field. Hustle to pick up balls after drills. Dive and make memorable plays in practice. Eventually (well, instantly on our team) it gets noticed and rewarded.

Jul 14, 2019
Keep asking, keep working hard. And most importantly, keep looking for the right team. You're simply not on it.

In practices, we see very few girls really go all out. Very few dive, very few run hard all the time. If you want to show coaches, hustle on and off the field. Hustle to pick up balls after drills. Dive and make memorable plays in practice. Eventually (well, instantly on our team) it gets noticed and rewarded.

She goes all out in practices! She makes the dives, etc. I’ll admit, she’s not the most graceful human in the planet, so they’re not always pretty. And the coach honestly said “body mechanics” to her last night.

Jul 14, 2019
How many of the 9 are the coaches kids?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

3: 3 coaches, 3 starters
1 is pitcher and 3rd and very good at both.
1 is pitcher, third, short stop, left field and is an excellent pitcher, but outfield is definitely not her strong suit.
1 is catcher, first, third, outfield, which is also not her strength.

I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. One is the best pitcher we have, but the worst outfielder, out of the 12.

We will straight up go 0/3 on a tournament consistently missing plays with the starters. Yet, we will never put these other girls in to see what could happen. I have seen my DD make some incredible plays when given the opportunity. But 5 chances in a 31 game season doesn’t fill the desire.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
She goes all out in practices! She makes the dives, etc. I’ll admit, she’s not the most graceful human in the planet, so they’re not always pretty. And the coach honestly said “body mechanics” to her last night.

It simply sounds like they just have their favorites and for whatever reason she isn't one of them. And it sure sounds like that won't change.

Around here (Georgia), we're right in the middle of tryouts. Are you as well? Seems like a perfect time to find a better team for your family.

Jul 14, 2019
It simply sounds like they just have their favorites and for whatever reason she isn't one of them. And it sure sounds like that won't change.

Around here (Georgia), we're right in the middle of tryouts. Are you as well? Seems like a perfect time to find a better team for your family.

Tryouts are beginning to be posted. And she is making a list of those she is interested in. In our area though, there aren’t a lot of strong teams that go and play bigger tournaments. Most of them stick around and play the same tournaments every weekend rather than hunting out stronger competition. That is the biggest hurdle right now. That, and friendships with some of the girls on the current team.

I, for one, agree with favorites on the team. It’s like it’s the original team and everyone else is just there for numbers. They will never break into the scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478