Bob Gibson on the Tim MCarver show.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2009
When people feel the need to let everyone know when Bob Gibson pitched, I have been declared officially old.

Do you think the OP knows that Tim McCarver was Gibson's catcher with the Cardinals before they traded McCarver off with Steve Carlton to the Phillies? I guess I've been declared officially old too...

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
fastpitchdad8, they were a national 14u and a regional 12u, and that rule is becoming more common in other tournaments also

pitching depth is becoming more important for a team and seen as a tool for development

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Overuse of pitchers is a result of the Win Win mentality. Teams turn away #3 and #4 pitchers. They're out there...they just dont get picked for these "Elite" teams because they would be 3 or 4 on the pitching depth chart but they are not strong enough with a bat to make the team. Teams would rather fill those open slots with bats rather than pitchers, because they CAN throw their Ace until her arm falls off. The rules, or lack thereof enable this behavior. The part that makes it even worse is the parents of these "Ace" pitchers dont want too many pitchers on a team. They WANT their kid out there throwing until her arm falls off.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Do you think the OP knows that Tim McCarver was Gibson's catcher with the Cardinals before they traded McCarver off with Steve Carlton to the Phillies? I guess I've been declared officially old too...

Although I knew that McCarver was Gibson's catcher in the '60s, I'm not old enough to remember the '68 World Series. So I still have a few good years remaining. If I take care of my arm.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If they are really "Ace Pitchers" on "Elite" teams they should not be throwing that many pitches to get the job done. IMHO limiting innings and/or numbers of pitches fosters multiple pitchers throwing with crap mechanics. Makes more sense to address the problem, not just work around the symptom. For every kid throwing with great mechanics there are many more that probably should not be in the circle.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Although I knew that McCarver was Gibson's catcher in the '60s, I'm not old enough to remember the '68 World Series. So I still have a few good years remaining. If I take care of my arm.

Unfortunately, I remember (vaguely) the 1967 Series when the Cards defeated my Impossible Dream team

Oct 19, 2009
This was brought up on the show.

Does anyone know what Gibson second job was during the off season?

He advised he made $4,000 for the job until the Cardinals offered to pay him $4,000 not to do the job anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1