blue complain about pitchers routine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
We have a pitcher who has a routine. Once she receives the ball from the catcher, she does 3 to 5 quick glove snaps. taps her knee with the ball. She then steps on the rubber receives the sign and delivers the ball. All of this takes about 7 to 10 seconds.

Playing Pony last weekend blue called time, came to me and complained that she was wasting too much time. This was a direct result of the opposing coach complaining. When I asked if she was doing anything illegal, blue said no but it wasting time and disrupting batters in the box. My comments to blue where if she's doing something illegal I'll ask her to stop but until then, I'm not saying anything to her.

She went on to pitch a very good game (as she usually does). My question is do you think I should have her change her routine? From what I see it gets her focused and in the zone.
thanks
Mclew

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We have a pitcher who has a routine. Once she receives the ball from the catcher, she does 3 to 5 quick glove snaps. taps her knee with the ball. She then steps on the rubber receives the sign and delivers the ball. All of this takes about 7 to 10 seconds.

Was her pitching coach's first name "Hal"? Never mind...just asking.

She went on to pitch a very good game (as she usually does). My question is do you think I should have her change her routine? From what I see it gets her focused and in the zone.

You wouldn't happen to be her father, would you?

Personally, I think you should you try to add more things to her routine to help her "focus". Perhaps do the chicken dance around the circle...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hi! I am sorry that you fell into a private joke that runs on here, about tricking the batters.

Your pitcher is fine. How old is she?

Nov 1, 2008
If a glove snap is throwing the ball into the glove, I'd recommend stopping that immediately. The ball is live unless it was a foul ball. If she throws the ball away with a missed snap the runners are free to advance while somebody is chasing the ball down. Other than that aspect, whatever makes her happy as long as she throws before the allotted time. She should just be aware that if it's annoying the umpire she could be making it harder on herself. We all know some umpires are less impartial than others.

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball. A typical pitcher working without delay is generally in the 10-12 second range and anything going over 14-15 seconds becomes very noticeable. You may want to actually time how long it is taking her to throw, because if a typical pitcher takes 10-12 without any delays I would find it hard to believe your pitcher is throwing 3-5 glove snaps, tapping her knee, stepping on, taking a signal and then delivering the pitch all in 7-10 seconds.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If a glove snap is throwing the ball into the glove, I'd recommend stopping that immediately. The ball is live unless it was a foul ball. If she throws the ball away with a missed snap the runners are free to advance while somebody is chasing the ball down. Other than that aspect, whatever makes her happy as long as she throws before the allotted time. She should just be aware that if it's annoying the umpire she could be making it harder on herself. We all know some umpires are less impartial than others.

Agreed 100%. We have a newer pitcher who has gotten into the habit of tossing the ball in the air to herself at the back of the circle before she steps on the pitching plate. Until she stops that habit, I don't expect she will get any game time.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I've seen a glove snap go bad... so that part is worth changing. There's nothing wrong with milking the time available. Whatever her routine, keep her throwing hand on the ball.

Sorry for the inside jokes... I was just playing off sluggers. Good ole hal...

Jul 2, 2013
Without actually timing her, the conversation means little.

Travel softball is a timed event. Who wants to spend and extra 10 seconds watching a pitcher do a dance. That times 60 pitches, is 10 minutes. Another half inning in a timed game.

Batters can be just as bad. Coaches even worse.

Sure, go to the rulebook on each and every one. But if every player in the game did what this pitcher does. Take evry last second to perform a task, you may get 2 innings in and only once around the order.

Just remember that. Plenty of folks are paying good money which is hard to come by, to get as many at bats as they can. You may be taking away EVERYONES at bats. She will grow out of it I hope. Try a quick pitch or two. It may be exhilerating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks