Big League World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I don't think you can take something that was said in the heat of the moment of a pressure filled situation and somehow extrapolate it to say that a girl does not know how to deal with disagreements with those in positions of authority. The call looked to me to only make sense if it was done out of spite. In my experience people like this are not going to listen to reason or else they would not have acted out of spite in the first place. Sometimes just telling a jackass to go screw himself is a perfectly good way to end a situation. If this was a default behavior in dealing with disagreement then yes it would be a problem. If she had gone meekly away then we probably would not be talking about it. Maybe the extra scrutiny makes the umpire evaluate his actions and prevent this type of stupidity in the future...you never know. Also, if this was a guy doing this I get the sense that many more would just blow it off as boys being boys, I think it being a girl makes a few more shake their heads.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think you can take something that was said in the heat of the moment of a pressure filled situation and somehow extrapolate it to say that a girl does not know how to deal with disagreements with those in positions of authority.

Actually, someone's true character comes out when faced with adversity and the heat of the moment. How does she handle the pressure of things not going her way?

Quick true story, DD 10U team had just beat one of their rivals in a close game in an all-star tournament. As the girls shook hands after the game, one of the players on the other team said "you guys suck" all down the line. We mentioned what happened to their head coach and she immediately asked which one of her players said that? The girl raised her hand and the coach made her apologize to our players and coaches right on the spot. It was a class act by this coach and I'm sure that this girl learned a valuable lesson about sportsmanship. When a team beats you in a close game or an umpire makes a bad call, how a player reacts tells you a lot about someone's character?

Dec 2, 2012
I don't think you can take something that was said in the heat of the moment of a pressure filled situation and somehow extrapolate it to say that a girl does not know how to deal with disagreements with those in positions of authority. The call looked to me to only make sense if it was done out of spite. In my experience people like this are not going to listen to reason or else they would not have acted out of spite in the first place. Sometimes just telling a jackass to go screw himself is a perfectly good way to end a situation. If this was a default behavior in dealing with disagreement then yes it would be a problem. If she had gone meekly away then we probably would not be talking about it. Maybe the extra scrutiny makes the umpire evaluate his actions and prevent this type of stupidity in the future...you never know. Also, if this was a guy doing this I get the sense that many more would just blow it off as boys being boys, I think it being a girl makes a few more shake their heads.

I couldn't disagree more.... It is never appropriate for someone to tell an umpire (or any other authority figure) to "go screw himself"? Making this a gender issue is BS.... Her plumbing has nothing to do with the issue. It's her mouth, middle finger and inability to control herself on the field of play. If one of my players (male or female) did what she did, they would be riding the pine for a long time. We owe it to those for whom we are responsible to teach appropriate and reasonable behavior, buy setting acceptable standards of behavior. Condoning this behavior under any circumstances is wrong. Someone else's mistake is never a reason to loose your dignity.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Losing a game fair and square and then walking down a line and saying you suck to another team is worlds apart from being called out unfairly by a bad umpire and telling him he sucks. Just because they both have the word suck in it does not make them the same.

Talking about character I would say that the character trait that lets this kid speak up for her self "I am not ready" and tell someone in a position of authority off could speak volumes about her ability to stick up for herself and her self confidence could it not? I do not know the kid, she could be a real piece of work for all I know, but based on this one incident, all I can tell is that when she is faced with a situation where someone is being a jerk, she calls them a jerk. This was not a bad call, this was not a close call, this was a game changing BS spiteful call that was not even close and should never have been made. That batter out of the box call needs to be obvious to be made it cannot be something that an umpire thinks he saw, it needs to be one of those things that he knows he saw. There is no way the umpire even thought he saw her out of the box, he was someone abusing his power plain and simple. He decided he was making that call before she ever swung the bat.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I couldn't disagree more.... It is never appropriate for someone to tell an umpire (or any other authority figure) to "go screw himself"? Making this a gender issue is BS.... Her plumbing has nothing to do with the issue. It's her mouth, middle finger and inability to control herself on the field of play. If one of my players (male or female) did what she did, they would be riding the pine for a long time. We owe it to those for whom we are responsible to teach appropriate and reasonable behavior, buy setting acceptable standards of behavior. Condoning this behavior under any circumstances is wrong. Someone else's mistake is never a reason to loose your dignity.

It is never appropriate to tell an authority figure to go screw himself? What does being in a position of authority have to do with this? are there separate rules for subordinates? I find the umpires behavior 100X more disturbing that the girl's. An adult making that spiteful call for no reason speaks volumes to him as a human, no character, no respect for the game, no respect for his position.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It is never appropriate to tell an authority figure to go screw himself? What does being in a position of authority have to do with this? are there separate rules for subordinates? I find the umpires behavior 100X more disturbing that the girl's. An adult making that spiteful call for no reason speaks volumes to him as a human, no character, no respect for the game, no respect for his position.

Would you be proud of the player's actions if it were one of your DDs???

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Would you be proud of the player's actions if it were one of your DDs???

I don't know if I would be proud, but I would definitely not be ashamed. If it were my daughter I would probably know if it was a one up thing or some sort of pattern. My response would range from a lecture about self control to an "I understand, don't sweat it, sometimes a jerk needs to be told off, don't make it a pattern".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't know if I would be proud, but I would definitely not be ashamed. If it were my daughter I would probably know if it was a one up thing or some sort of pattern. My response would range from a lecture about self control to an "I understand, don't sweat it, sometimes a jerk needs to be told off, don't make it a pattern".

Do you want the player who was tossed representing your team? yourself? the other players on the team? the coaches? your HS? your college? Regardless of whether her actions were justifiable, my answer is NO.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
On a side note, what is the Senior World Series? How do you qualify? How are the teams composed? What level of play is it? Why are there 19-year-olds playing?

Not sure if your question was answered. LL groups their age divisions by name and has a world series for each age group starting at 12U (Majors.) Here's the breakdown:
12U=Majors
14U=Juniors
16U=Seniors
18U=Big League

Each All Star team is made up of eligible LL players from a local league. Players must meet a minimum number of games played in a regular season to be eligible. The minimum play rule has some exceptions for players who also play MS, HS or college due to conflicting schedules. To make the WS: a team must win their District, State and Regional tournaments. District host teams automatically get to play in whatever tournament they host including the WS.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Do you want the player who was tossed representing your team? yourself? the other players on the team? the coaches? your HS? your college? Regardless of whether her actions were justifiable, my answer is NO.

Do I want a player that can come up in the bottom of the 8th down 1-0 and lead off with a double to get things going? tough choice....gotta go with ABSOUTELY on this one GM. I am sure she has faced a lot of more reasonable bad calls without losing her cool. This one call was SOOOOOOOO bad though. This is not a close call on a tag or something, this is just a pre planned spite call. Not getting upset would be more worrisome to me than getting upset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan