Big League World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
It had an affect on the play that inning, but if any team has to point to one play, they didn't play well enough to win the game.

And how was that? Are you saying that you know as a fact that was an FYC?

There was a very high percentage chance they were going to at least tie the game. The rest of the game was tied. Both teams played very well to that point. Until the game was tilted.

You have your opinion. My opinion is that it was a spite call. Regardless of the circumstances that put him in that position he failed it!

And there should be consequences!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There was a very high percentage chance they were going to at least tie the game. The rest of the game was tied. Both teams played very well to that point. Until the game was tilted.

You have your opinion. My opinion is that it was a spite call. Regardless of the circumstances that put him in that position he failed it!

And there should be consequences!

If it were an FYC, it was absolutely wrong, Never believed in them and couldn't make one if I wanted to.

And whether it was or not, just what consequences should there be?

Oct 25, 2009
If it were an FYC, it was absolutely wrong, Never believed in them and couldn't make one if I wanted to.

And whether it was or not, just what consequences should there be?

For one, whoever is in charge should discuss the issue with him. If it is determined (or suspected even) that it was a spite call then the ump should not officiate another contest until he has more training. Extremely unfortunate that there's nothing that can be done about the game itself. Both of those teams played too well to have the decision end in controversy. Totally unnecessary!

What is FYC, by the way?

Feb 7, 2013
Rocketech 1.....These are travel ball players. Many girls on the D3 team returned from OKC , Alabama, and Las Vegas Nevada to play in this series. The pitcher is a D1 recruit for Mississippi State University. Far from typical "ALL star rec little league players". Many of the girls grom all of the teams in this series play for big name travel teams across the country.

What do you think the outcome would be if these LL softball teams played the Beverly Bandits, Texas Glory, Gold Coast Hurricanes, or SoCal Athletics in their age bracket? Clearly the PGF and ASA are the big dogs of fastpitch and the top D1 programs recruit heavily from them.

Same goes for the boys LLWS, where they play on short 60foot base paths and have no leadoffs or stealing until after the ball reaches home plate for 13YOs? That isn't real youth baseball rules played in most of the country.

Oct 25, 2009
What do you think the outcome would be if these LL softball teams played the Beverly Bandits, Texas Glory, Gold Coast Hurricanes, or SoCal Athletics in their age bracket? Clearly the PGF and ASA are the big dogs of fastpitch and the top D1 programs recruit heavily from them.

Same goes for the boys LLWS, where they play on short 60foot base paths and have no leadoffs or stealing until after the ball reaches home plate for 13YOs? That isn't real youth baseball rules played in most of the country.

Clearly, LL is not about getting recruited. It's kind of refreshing to see competition for competition's sake. As long as they're equally matched the games really are very enjoyable.

So much has been taken away from the game by TB profiteers dangling scholarships, which most will never get, nor even need!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think enough people care about ASA or PGF nationals to watch it on TV. For softball to get ratings, you have to reach an audience beyond folks like us. The WCWS does that because of the schools. I'd watch lacrosse nationals if my favorite college was in it. Not sure if this softball event has that, but it has the tradition of Little League going for it. People tune in and view it the same way as the traditional LL World Series (12U), only for 18U softball girls.

The LLWS is popular because it's played by teams representing their communities. Doesn't matter if the quality of play is below that of the best 12U travel teams in the country. If my DD's travel team won ASA nationals, the local newspaper wouldn't care because we don't have more than two girls from any one town. They're all spread out and don't represent anything but their travel program and their families. But any sports team that represents Raleigh or Greensboro or Wilmington that does something on a national stage will be compelling for the folks in those cities.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't think enough people care about ASA or PGF nationals to watch it on TV. For softball to get ratings, you have to reach an audience beyond folks like us. The WCWS does that because of the schools. I'd watch lacrosse nationals if my favorite college was in it. Not sure if this softball event has that, but it has the tradition of Little League going for it. People tune in and view it the same way as the traditional LL World Series (12U), only for 18U softball girls.

The LLWS is popular because it's played by teams representing their communities. Doesn't matter if the quality of play is below that of the best 12U travel teams in the country. If my DD's travel team won ASA nationals, the local newspaper wouldn't care because we don't have more than two girls from any one town. They're all spread out and don't represent anything but their travel program and their families. But any sports team that represents Raleigh or Greensboro or Wilmington that does something on a national stage will be compelling for the folks in those cities.

And there lies the issue with many, if not most youth sports and maybe even some professional teams today.

It is no longer "home town" or community oriented. The priorities are not representing anyone other than oneself. If it were for the community, there would be no problem with 15-18 player rosters or playing elimination ball instead of getting the most "looks" which in itself carries somewhat of a myth in the recruiting world.

It is also another reason HS ball has diminished to rec-level consideration in many areas, and to the point some of the better players simply forego participating at that level of ball.

Same in pro sports. Used to be the player was part of the community. The athlete didn't fly away on a winter vacation and shows and charge $25 for an autograph during the off season. The often held a job, even though some were "no show" jobs, they still participated as a member of the community.

Unfortunately for many of the younger folks, a good portion of sports has become all about the Benjamins and less about life.

Dec 7, 2011
It is no longer "home town" or community oriented. The priorities are not representing anyone other than oneself.

Prime example is Olympics & World Cups. Put a USA jersey on and all of a sudden I am watching sports that I normally ignore.

There is magic in a "home" team that you can identify with and is more than just a "bought" home team.....

Feb 12, 2014
It was 100% a INCORRECT call by the umpire .... KUDOS to the coach, the players, the parents and the fans from maintaining there cool on a terrible call which cost the girls the game IMO ! and to the 19Yr old player I completely understand her frustration and I am ok with her response ! I would be more disappointed if she walked away with her head down and said nothing !

Jun 18, 2010
Really bad call.

IMO it was a vindictive call.

I just did a screen capture, the audio is poor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma