Big League World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Maybe she wasn't ready. Why does it have to be sass to let the umpire know you're not ready. Not saying it wasn't sass, but it's possible it wasn't. Is there a time limit to be in the box? If so, that's when the ump should have taken action. If not, he could still have reprimanded her.

She wasn't even close to being out of the box. It was either spite or incompetence—neither acceptable in that situation.

If the ump had to motion her to get in the box then she was probably taking too long. She should have stepped in, not looked at him and said "I'm not ready yet". That, to me, is disrespectful. I agree that she was not out of the box at all, so then the question becomes why did he call her out after that double - seems obvious to me that it was out of spite - and no I don't agree that it was the right call, but had she not sassed him, I doubt she would have been called out - in my silly opinion.

The fact that she then said to him "you suck" maybe shows a little more of her personality. Who knows, maybe other things/issues transpired between her and the ump during the course of that game that we didn't get to see also.

Oct 25, 2009
The reason the batter who was called out was ejected by the umpire was because she said "you suck" as she passed by him. I think that bothers me more than a judgment call by the umpire that was very questionable. Nevertheless, one call does not win or lose the game for you since they had other chances to produce runs and didn't get the job done.

Btw, they need to nationally televise more fastpitch games, the ones being played by these Little League teams is all star rec teams that would get destroyed by many travel ball teams playing up. Just an observation when as you compare PGF to LL that was televised today.

In most cases I would agree that one call doesn't win or lose a game but not this time. That one call definitely affected the game's outcome. With instant replay it would have been overturned.

As far as being compared to PGF. Both teams are equal in skill. That's what's important to compete. If PGF, ASA, USSSA, etc., were to form "leagues" maybe they, too, could better promote the sport.

While I don't support disrespect by children it seems somehow different when both maturity levels are about the same. The umpire's behavior wasn't any better than the child's.

Dec 7, 2011
As for the talking heads, yes it was a bad call but the lines being gone (which they werent completely gone I could still see it plainly on TV) does not mean the batters box does not still exist. And, rules do not cease to exist just because it is the 8th inning in a championship game. The rules are exactly the same in the 8th inning as they are in the 1st inning and if the call should be made in the 1st, it should still be made in the 8th.

To me Comp here is he only one that touches on the true ridiculous embarrassment of that moment. Why in the heck, after all the bad calls that go on within the LL domain, do the two talking heads decide it's now OK to openly take sides against an umpire? At a minimum there were some critical ball/strike calls that had my head spinning and yet earlier in the game the talking heads chose not to even hint to the questionable calls (in the mode/spirit of LL). But then after the "princess" (self acknowledged at the beginning of the game) gets into a 1-on-1 heat of the moment battle with the umpire all of a sudden it's OK for these useless talking heads to strongly voice their opinion...!?!?!? Shame on those two creatures for acting as they did!!!

Jun 26, 2010
It looked to me that when she came back to argue where her foot was in the box, she pointed to the ump and said you suck. After that she got ejected and then the screen blurred for a couple seconds.

Oct 25, 2009
There were quite a few questionable calls during the game. Those are the kind of calls that "talking heads" should leave be. But when the bad call appears to have some other motive then it needs to be, at the very least, discussed.

Those in authority need to do more. They should investigate it. This is probably not that umpire's last game. He will be dealing with more players and similar situations. He may need additional training!

The player obviously needs additional training. Her coaches and parents owe her that much. She is no more innocent than the umpire.

Aug 10, 2014
These travel ball players.

The reason the batter who was called out was ejected by the umpire was because she said "you suck" as she passed by him. I think that bothers me more than a judgment call by the umpire that was very questionable. Nevertheless, one call does not win or lose the game for you since they had other chances to produce runs and didn't get the job done.

Btw, they need to nationally televise more fastpitch games, the ones being played by these Little League teams is all star rec teams that would get destroyed by many travel ball teams playing up. Just an observation when as you compare PGF to LL that was televised today.

Rocketech 1.....These are travel ball players. Many girls on the D3 team returned from OKC , Alabama, and Las Vegas Nevada to play in this series. The pitcher is a D1 recruit for Mississippi State University. Far from typical "ALL star rec little league players". Many of the girls grom all of the teams in this series play for big name travel teams across the country.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

As if the networks are just standing around waiting to televise ballgames and the sanctioning bodies are at fault that they are not. You can probably get just about any ballgame you want televised on the air, you just need to pay for it.

In most cases I would agree that one call doesn't win or lose a game but not this time. That one call definitely affected the game's outcome.

It had an affect on the play that inning, but if any team has to point to one play, they didn't play well enough to win the game.

As far as being compared to PGF. Both teams are equal in skill. That's what's important to compete. If PGF, ASA, USSSA, etc., were to form "leagues" maybe they, too, could better promote the sport.

What makes you think LL is any different other than their operations are based and supported by baseball? If it wasn't for the discrimination charges 41 years ago, LL may never have even entered the softball community. Do you think it was coincidence that the did get into the GIRLS softball business the following year? If it wasn't for the contract for the baseball, softball probably wouldn't be televised.

While I don't support disrespect by children it seems somehow different when both maturity levels are about the same. The umpire's behavior wasn't any better than the child's.

And how was that? Are you saying that you know as a fact that was an FYC?

At a minimum there were some critical ball/strike calls that had my head spinning and yet earlier in the game the talking heads chose not to even hint to the questionable calls (in the mode/spirit of LL). But then after the "princess" (self acknowledged at the beginning of the game) gets into a 1-on-1 heat of the moment battle with the umpire all of a sudden it's OK for these useless talking heads to strongly voice their opinion...!?!?!? Shame on those two creatures for acting as they did!!!

From what I saw, his zone wasn't as bad as the players' reaction. Many pitches being pulled back in the zone and catchers acting out when they didn't get the call.

She was right. He did suck. But she handled it wrong, obviously.

How's the view from the cheap seats?

People tend to forget some of these umpires are not afforded the opportunity to get the training other umpires do. LL provides some training, but not always to the level ASA & NCAA have available.

They are also there on their own dime as volunteers and this place is literally in the corn fields of Southern DE, so it isn't cheap for them to get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma