Big League World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
From what I saw, his zone wasn't as bad as the players' reaction. Many pitches being pulled back in the zone and catchers acting out when they didn't get the call.

Had to comment on this: DD (pitcher) and I were watching this and she commented to me that the catcher wasn't doing her pitcher any favors holding the glove out there so long after not getting the strike call.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
Some of you really need to sit back and think about what you're saying. Let me explain in a regretfully lengthy post. I will try to be brief, but some things need to be said.
First of all, every person on that field was given a great opportunity that they may, or may not get again. For most, after the game ended, the experience would become a memory they could hold on to forever. All of them, however, will do everything possible to get the opportunity again, not just players but umpires as well. That man knew in his heart that all eyes were on him, and his performance might determine if he would ever be called on again for that type of assignment. I guarantee he wants to do it again. Now, we knew soon after the play happened that he made a mistake, and yes there needs to be consequences for the mistake. Maybe it's more training, or maybe he deserves to be kept from ever receiving another assignment that important. It is INSANE, however, to believe that he made that call out of spite. There is absolutely no way the man would have made that decision with so many eyes on him. He had everything to lose, and nothing to gain. I have seen that call made many times as bad judgment. That is all it was. Maybe a coach had told him to watch out for it. His eyes were on the feet of the batter. We don"t know how the mistake was made, but that's all it was. There was no way he could have gotten away with it in that situation. I don't know him, but I'm sure he was smarter than that or he wouldn't have been there. He did not do that on purpose.
Now, what about the actions of the player. There is no way to spin her reaction in a way that makes it justified. We all have to deal with authority in our lives, and sometimes we are right and they are wrong. We MUST deal with our authority figures correctly, and with respect, and we MUST expect the same from our children. I don't care how right she was, her actions after were inexcusable in every way, and must be punished. I would be extremely disappointed if I sound out her actions were applauded by her coaches and/or parents.
Again, the man made a terrible mistake. We all had replay to see it, but it was close. It should be looked into, and the appropriate steps taken to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not saying he was right. I just don't understand how any reasonable person could rationally think that he did it on purpose to further an agenda. Think about it.

Oct 25, 2009
I may be insane but I'm not stupid. If his eyes were right on her feet there is no way he could have thought she was out of the box. I'm assuming that he had a lot of experience to be selected as the home plate umpire.

Although the player was rightfully ejected I believe her reaction was mild compared to what it could have been. This was a great competition. These were local teams battling for a world series championship. And both teams fought hard and with great sportsmanship. They deserved better. There is no excuse for that call! None!

Don't try to blame the kid. From what I saw of her play she is a very high-spirited competitor. I'm impressed that she didn't go into a rage. And that the coach stayed as calm as he did.

I feel bad for the umpire but he brought it on himself. That game was too high stakes for that kind of call. Inexcusable! Period!

Feb 12, 2014
I may be insane but I'm not stupid. If his eyes were right on her feet there is no way he could have thought she was out of the box. I'm assuming that he had a lot of experience to be selected as the home plate umpire.

Although the player was rightfully ejected I believe her reaction was mild compared to what it could have been. This was a great competition. These were local teams battling for a world series championship. And both teams fought hard and with great sportsmanship. They deserved better. There is no excuse for that call! None!

Don't try to blame the kid. From what I saw of her play she is a very high-spirited competitor. I'm impressed that she didn't go into a rage. And that the coach stayed as calm as he did.

I feel bad for the umpire but he brought it on himself. That game was too high stakes for that kind of call. Inexcusable! Period!

I agree, as I stated in my earlier post - The fans, parents, coaches and all the players handled it very well !!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

If his eyes were on her feet, he did not belong there. The umpire watches the pitch and doesn't make that call unless the batter's actions are so obvious it draws the eyes down. This is the type of call that if the umpire has to think about it, does not get called. Yes, the umpire probably deserved to be there and it very well could have been called if it were another umpire there, we don't now. However for the 3B coach to rant that to the media that he saw that she had both feet in the box from where he was standing is just as much bull.

Well, apparently there was, but that does not make it correct, just human. I don't know the man, so I have no idea what made him make that call. He may have thought he saw her out of the box. Again, that does not make it correct.

Blame the kid for what, acting like an AA SP player? And the "heat of the game" crap is just that, crap. And the coach certainly didn't look calm to me and shame on him for not protecting his player by keeping her out of he fray.

The game was a game and I don't think there is any doubt it has been established that it was a bad call at a bad time and it would have been just as bad if it happened in the first inning. And there may be an "excuse" for it, we don't know, but again, that still doesn't make it correct.

So the guy screwed up. You think he is walking around pontificating how that went down? Y'all need to get over it, PERIOD!

Dec 25, 2010
It had an affect on the play that inning, but if any team has to point to one play, they didn't play well enough to win the game.

QUOTE]Except they did..and this moron took it away.

Just because you're an umpire doesn't mean you have to take their side EVERY TIME NO MATTER WHAT, or make excuses for them

ggalante6

#1 Gabby fan
Our view from behind the plate... (will explain why the TV went fuzzy) ... was superb.

We watched the game from about 20 feet behind the backstop on the RH batters box side at the game. (we know the catcher on the East team and went to see her play.) It looked like a typical at bat until Alexis (the batter) said, "I'm not ready!" Then it became clear that there was some tension in the air.

It was a very tight game, and late into the game when the umpire called her out for (what he believed) having her front foot out of the box. After she reached second and the crowd noise subsided, she realized that she had been called out. She then ran to the front of the batters box and pointed to her front foot print on/near the line, shouting "I was in the box!" And the umpire replied, "Well you are out!" Then she immediately replied, "Well you suck!" And he said, "You're gone!" and made the ejection motion.

She then followed him toward the dugout and flipped him the bird, saying "F.......U" (at this point she/they were approx. 30 feet from my family which includes my 15 yr old daughter who plays the game.)

PS - Alexis plays for a small D1 school currently. Her softball resume is impressive, yet we are wondering if her current coach was there. And what he/she has to say to her...

Feb 7, 2013
Our view from behind the plate... (will explain why the TV went fuzzy) ... was superb.

We watched the game from about 20 feet behind the backstop on the RH batters box side at the game. (we know the catcher on the East team and went to see her play.) It looked like a typical at bat until Alexis (the batter) said, "I'm not ready!" Then it became clear that there was some tension in the air.

It was a very tight game, and late into the game when the umpire called her out for (what he believed) having her front foot out of the box. After she reached second and the crowd noise subsided, she realized that she had been called out. She then ran to the front of the batters box and pointed to her front foot print on/near the line, shouting "I was in the box!" And the umpire replied, "Well you are out!" Then she immediately replied, "Well you suck!" And he said, "You're gone!" and made the ejection motion.

She then followed him toward the dugout and flipped him the bird, saying "F.......U" (at this point she/they were approx. 30 feet from my family which includes my 15 yr old daughter who plays the game.)

PS - Alexis plays for a small D1 school currently. Her softball resume is impressive, yet we are wondering if her current coach was there. And what he/she has to say to her...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us from someone who was actually at the game to witness the whole scenario. I stand by my comment that the batter's immaturity and child like temper tantrum was the most disturbing aspect of the whole situation. The umpire made a judgment call (right or wrong) and as a player and coach who need to have respect for the game and the officiating crew. People on this site all the time say how softball builds character, teaches life lessons, etc. and yet they see no problem with a player cursing out an umpire? I can only wonder how great coaches like Sue Enquist would have handled one of her player's who acted like that?

Dec 2, 2012

It's really is quite remarkable that anyone would condone, or even glorify what was done and said by Alexis. She was one of the announcers darlings throughout he tournament and proved to be a solid player. However, she gave the sport of softball a black eye on a national stage, with thousands/millions of young athletes watching in hopes of being in her place some day. That is inexcusable. Some may like her spunky demeanor and competitive spirit. I do too....right up to the point where she can't control her own actions. After that point she is a huge liability to herself, her team and our sport.

The authority figure (umpire) no doubt made a mistake in that game, but that doesn't justify what she did. I can say with absolute conviction she will have authority figures throughout her life who will make mistakes that will result in negative impacts on her or her family members. Telling a cop, a boss, a superior officer or anyone else that they "Suck" and "F.....U" is not a recipe for positive and amicable outcomes, or long-term happiness for that matter. Nobody said life would always be fair and just. There are ways to communicate disagreement and frustration without surrendering your dignity. How one deals with adversity can reveal our weaknesses... It's too bad Alexis' shortcomings were displayed on a national stage.

I truly hope Alexis can find a way to forgive the umpire for being human, and that she can find ways control her anger/rage in the future. Softball is a great training ground for what the world will throw at these young athletes later in life....based on this event, I beleive Alexis and those that condone her behavior need more training.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan