Big League World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Just watched an excellent competition become tarnished by what appears to be a spite call by the home plate umpire.

Instant replay would have been nice here!

Jan 3, 2014
Ridiculous call. I'm impressed that the coach didn't lose his cool. I wonder what the hitter said to him that got her ejected after it all went down?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It was a bad call and should never have been made. The player then proceeded to act like an AA SP player and got dumped.

I didn't see the whole at bat, but from what I understand from the TH is that he had to keep telling her to get ready to bat and she didn't want to hear it.

Jun 22, 2008
It was a bad call and should never have been made. The player then proceeded to act like an AA SP player and got dumped.

I didn't see the whole at bat, but from what I understand from the TH is that he had to keep telling her to get ready to bat and she didn't want to hear it.

MTR, I saw the whole at bat and just rewatched it again. There was only 1 time the umire motioned her into the box and I did not see any kind of an exchange between the two. He motioned her in, she held up her hand to him and he pointed into the box and she stepped in. I get the distinct impression the player may have made some additional hand gesture to the umpire. After she said something to him and just as he pointed for the ejection at least on my tv the screen blurred out for a second or two and then came back.

As for the talking heads, yes it was a bad call but the lines being gone (which they werent completely gone I could still see it plainly on TV) does not mean the batters box does not still exist. And, rules do not cease to exist just because it is the 8th inning in a championship game. The rules are exactly the same in the 8th inning as they are in the 1st inning and if the call should be made in the 1st, it should still be made in the 8th.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Watched this several times over with my dd and I distinctly heard the player say to the ump "I'm not ready yet" when he motioned her into the box. She sabotaged herself. Not saying the call was right or wrong but we used it as a learning experience to not sass any umpire. Ever. Period.

Jun 22, 2008
Im not buying it being a vindictive call. If it was he would have gotten her on the very next pitch that she slapped foul, not wait for 3 more pitches and call it on the double.

It was simply a bad call, have no idea what he thought he saw but she was certainly not out of the box.

Oct 25, 2009
Maybe she wasn't ready. Why does it have to be sass to let the umpire know you're not ready. Not saying it wasn't sass, but it's possible it wasn't. Is there a time limit to be in the box? If so, that's when the ump should have taken action. If not, he could still have reprimanded her.

She wasn't even close to being out of the box. It was either spite or incompetence—neither acceptable in that situation.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Im not buying it being a vindictive call. If it was he would have gotten her on the very next pitch that she slapped foul, not wait for 3 more pitches and call it on the double.

It was simply a bad call, have no idea what he thought he saw but she was certainly not out of the box.

Possibly, but maybe in his mind it would have seemed too obvious to call it right after she mouthed off to him. Plus it hurt a lot more after the double.

Feb 7, 2013
The reason the batter who was called out was ejected by the umpire was because she said "you suck" as she passed by him. I think that bothers me more than a judgment call by the umpire that was very questionable. Nevertheless, one call does not win or lose the game for you since they had other chances to produce runs and didn't get the job done.

Btw, they need to nationally televise more fastpitch games, the ones being played by these Little League teams is all star rec teams that would get destroyed by many travel ball teams playing up. Just an observation when as you compare PGF to LL that was televised today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478