Better Competition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
So, here's my take on allowing the extra year for these players. It's really more of a math thing, so it's a good estimate.

I looked at five local D1 schools with softball programs to see how many players they carried as grad students. Only one school had no grad students, one had one, one had three, one had four, and the last had five. That's a total of 13 girls playing an extra year that under normal circumstances they wouldn't have. Granted, it's a small sample size, but that is an average of 2.6 extra girls for each team.

If you then multiply 286 × 2.6 you get 743.6 extra players in D1. The question I have is did they take away a spot from someone else, or did the team just increase their roster size to accommodate the extra players? Did they take away a potential scholarship from another girl?

The class of 2024 is the first one not dealing with this, so they could get recruited later than we've seen over the last several years. Maybe the Ivy league schools did it right by not allowing the extra year. Their take was your here for an education first. Athletics is secondary.
Not to mention the role the transfer portal plays now where instead of bringing in a freshman you simply grab a grad student from another program.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not to me mention the role the transfer portal plays now where instead of bringing in a freshman you simply grab a grad student from another program.

People are losing their minds over the Maxwell to OU grad transfer. Someone mentioned an alleged NIL worth $250K.

Feb 15, 2017
A college softball player earning a quarter mil to play one season seems awesome. Good for her.

Other programs should start opening up their checkbooks.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I think they are, but as one college football coach said the rich will get richer and use lesser schools as prep schools.

As an aside, is NIL legal for all colleges or just D1?

May 13, 2021
One thing I’ve found at 12-U PGF Nationals is that spin, location, and change of speed become way more important than speed. Girl who has arguably been the best 12-u pitcher in the country got rocked pretty hard in one game.
One thing I learned from looking at the scores in the 10u division going on right now in CA, is that there are a some terrible teams playing in this tournament. Was better competition in the 10u division at the PGF that was held in TN couple months ago.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
One thing I learned from looking at the scores in the 10u division going on right now in CA, is that there are a some terrible teams playing in this tournament. Was better competition in the 10u division at the PGF that was held in TN couple months ago.
Yikes. Back in 2011 I learned there was a whole different world of softball that I had yet to see with some great hitters and pitchers.

1691096007604.png

May 13, 2021
Yikes. Back in 2011 I learned there was a whole different world of softball that I had yet to see with some great hitters and pitchers.

View attachment 28494
Crazy scores, the Bolts 10u team has played 4 games combined score 53-2. That is bad softball, they get better competition than that playing local. I thought they wouldn't let you in this tournament unless you were pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45