Best-to-worst finish for a turn at bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'd add in 'Did what we signed in successfully' high up in the list.. probably as high as 2 or 3. If I have signed in a bunt and they lay it down, then that is a highly successful at-bat.

And I know ROE is at 2 because they 'hit' the ball, but I'd still put it behind base-on-ball (didn't swing at bad pitches). I'd likley remove it at all and reclassify into types of out/probable out (line out, had gounder out, fly ball out, etc). The fact the fielders made an error isn't really reflective of how good your bat was. In fact I'd remove any result that depends on a defensive error. For example, I'd remove Dropped third strike altogether. That is just a strikeout of some kind and the fact the catcher didn't handle it is secondary.

I'd move hit-by-pitch down the list as well. Nothing matters enough in pre-14U ball enough to 'take one for the team'

I might add in 10+ pitch at bat somewhere as well. I love those at bats even if they don't get on base.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Guess I'm in grumpy mode today, but I don't think 10-pitch at-bats say anything about the fight or character of a player. It's either a random thing, or something to do with pitch selection and the skill set relative to the pitcher.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
You've got to list those outcomes that don't result in an official at bat (walk, sac bunt, sac fly) ahead of those that result in an official at bat (ROE, FC, DTS)...

Aug 30, 2011
DE
Being down 0-2 and earning a walk is always high up there. I have video of DD having a 4:25 at bat. 2 quick strikes then fouled a bunch off ended up with a walk after 11 pitches.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Hit (HR, triple, double, single)
Sacrifice RBI (batter out)
Base on balls
Hit-by-pitch
ROE
Sacrifice advance (batter out)
Dropped third strike - Safe at first
Fly out (includes foul)
Ground out
flyball to an infielder on a hit and run
Dropped third strike - Out at first
Strikeout swinging (near pitch)
Out on interference
Dropped third strike - tagged out at home
Strikeout swinging (not anywhere close to pitch)
No swing on a Hit & Run
Hit into Fielder’s Choice (runner out)
bunt foul with two strikes(with no bunt sign given)
Strikeout looking
Flying out to catcher on squeeze bunt
Missing a squeeze Bunt

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Nice idea for a list.

I would put successful sacrifices ahead of fielder's choice. Better to advance the runners.

Yeah, We'd make that change now too, but at the time (can't remember now) we thought we had a pretty good reason why we had the two outcomes in that order.

There are some other "bad" outcomes based on situations that come to mind
- flying out to the catcher on a squeeze bunt
- flyball to an infielder on a hit and run
- bunt foul with two strikes

We were trying not to get too technical, flying out to catcher or infielder we were grouping in that fly out category, as for bunting foul with two strikes, we had considered an "out by pure stupidity" category too.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
You've got to list those outcomes that don't result in an official at bat (walk, sac bunt, sac fly) ahead of those that result in an official at bat (ROE, FC, DTS)...

We had considered making that distinction, but in the end we wanted it boiled down to batter being safely on or someone being out.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I considered putting a Sac RBI ahead of a hit. Anytime you can score a run...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24