Best-to-worst finish for a turn at bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Sitting with my 12u at my 10u DD's game this weekend and we were trying to come up with an ordered list of best to worst outcomes for a batter's turn at bat.

Here's our list so far (keep in mind this list is for a 10u B/C team)

Hit (HR, triple, double, single)
ROE
Base on balls
Hit-by-pitch
Dropped third strike - Safe at first
Hit into Fielder’s Choice (runner out)
Sacrifice RBI (batter out)
Sacrifice advance (batter out)
Ground out
Dropped third strike - Out at first
Fly out (includes foul)
Strikeout swinging (near pitch)
Out on interference
Dropped third strike - tagged out at home
Strikeout looking
Strikeout swinging (not anywhere close to pitch)

We think every item on the list is better than the item below it. In reality it's never this cut-and-dry, but we've tried to simplify it.

Anything we miss?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For me, strikeout looking is at the bottom of the list. I would also put Sacrifice RBI up above FC. (IMO, YMMV)

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
For me, strikeout looking is at the bottom of the list.

Usually is for us too, but in this case the bottom of the list is reserved for those girls who go to the plate just to swing. They aren't trying to hit the ball. They aren't watching the ball. They probably don't even want to be there.

Feb 3, 2011
Barring injury, strikeout looking to end the inning (with a runner in scoring position) is the worst of all.

Nov 17, 2010
Nice idea for a list.

I would put successful sacrifices ahead of fielder's choice. Better to advance the runners.

Catcher's interference should be added on par with hit by pitch.

There are some other "bad" outcomes based on situations that come to mind
- flying out to the catcher on a squeeze bunt
- flyball to an infielder on a hit and run
- bunt foul with two strikes

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Strikeout looking
Strikeout swinging (not anywhere close to pitch)

I'd call it a tie. Both are judgment errors that resulted in the same outcome.

But, another question would be why include the circumstances in some at-bats and not others?

If you're going to have strikeout looking, why not distinguish popouts, fly outs and line-drive outs?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
For me, strikeout looking is at the bottom of the list. I would also put Sacrifice RBI up above FC. (IMO, YMMV)

I agree.
I'd also put ground out that advances runner above reach on fielder choice with lead runner out.
And I'd add - hit in double play and/or triple play at the very bottom because making 2 or 3 outs is always worse than making just one, unless one ends the inning.

Jul 6, 2013
My list would be much different. Several of those I think you may have made a mistake on. Lol

Apr 1, 2010
I agree.
I'd also put ground out that advances runner above reach on fielder choice with lead runner out.
And I'd add - hit in double play and/or triple play at the very bottom because making 2 or 3 outs is always worse than making just one, unless one ends the inning.

Yeah, sadly, this weekend. No outs, runner on first, DD hit a screamer to right that normally would go bounce around in the corner for wonderful things...

They had a heckuva first baseman. She dove and caught it in mid-air then threw herself back toward the bag, slapping it with her outstretched glove just before our runner could get back. Two outs, no one on. It was a killer. Without her, it was no outs, runners on first and third at the very least. Awesome play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Although maybe not list-worthy, "swinging on a 'take' sign", is a personal pet-peeve.

Situation...

Down by one run. No outs. Runners on 1st and 3rd. Top of the order at the plate, and our top 4 have been crushing all day. HC gives #1 batter a "take", and has the runner at 1B stealing on the pitch. Batter sees a fat one down the middle and swings. Fly ball directly to RF'er who makes the catch, and doubles off the runner at 1B. 2 outs.

To cap it off, after the ball comes back to the circle, out runner at 3B steps off the bag. 3 outs. Game over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi