Best-to-worst finish for a turn at bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We considered SO looking being passive, while SO swinging [is] aggressive.

I consider passive decisions and aggressive decisions to be neutral. You want to be passive in certain situations (like the count is 2-0 and the pitcher hits the inside corner at your knees). You want to be aggressive in other situations.

What's important, IMO, is whether it's a good decision or bad decision. Called strike 3 is the same as a swinging strike 3 if the batter misses a pitch outside the strike zone.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We had considered making that distinction, but in the end we wanted it boiled down to batter being safely on or someone being out.

This is interesting because when you look at 'the batter being safe' that is a good result for the team, but in reality it could have been be a terrible at bat.

Long term I want my players to get better and have good at bats - as this increases their odds of getting on base over time statistically.But sometimes a great hit goes straight to a fielder, or bounces weird and you get out (we had one last night where the ball was a great line drive that came off the pitchers glove (accidentally - it just happened to be in the way) and went straight to their SS for an out and then a double play at first... Terrible team result, but great at bat. It happens.

Same other way - batter swings and gets Strike 3 to at an awful pitch that the catcher misses - Dropped Third, runner on first. Great team result - terrible batting decision - got lucky the other way but next at bat I certainty wouldn't be hoping for a repeat performance.

So the lists and suggestions here are to me from two schools and it depends what you are ranking. Are you ranking:
Best result for the team from the @ Bat OR Quality of the Actual At-Bat

Those are two very different things. I feel like you are trying to mix both of those into the list which isn't really working.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
I consider passive decisions and aggressive decisions to be neutral. You want to be passive in certain situations (like the count is 2-0 and the pitcher hits the inside corner at your knees). You want to be aggressive in other situations.

What's important, IMO, is whether it's a good decision or bad decision. Called strike 3 is the same as a swinging strike 3 if the batter misses a pitch outside the strike zone.

IA, you want the girls making good decisions, not bad ones. You never know whether you'll be lucky or not on any given at-bat--a good decision can yield a bad result, just as a bad decision can yield a good result. But I've got to believe good decisions will lead to better results over the long-term. --Of course, how do you quantify 'good decisions'?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1