Best glove/pad for palm "sting"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2010
My DD has been catching for 7 years. She has had her fair share of bruises, jammed fingers, etc. But she just admitted that for the last year her catching hand bruises and swells right below the index finger, and the bruising extends up both sides of her index finger. Her glove is new-ish, been trying to break it in over the last 18 months. Of course she is catching for pitchers that have more velocity (>60 mph). Can anyone recommend a catcher's pad or something like it that would help? I was shocked when she showed me her hand after a clinic recently.... She must have a high pain tolerance!

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have a microfiber household sponge, that fits in the palm of my glove. It is round.

I was getting lazy and one little girl in particular stung me below the pointer finger, twice. This thing not only protects my palm, but is protects my glove from sweat.

But, I do need to ask, why is she getting hit in the palm so often? Are you certain that nothing is wrong with her set up?

May 13, 2008
I just got one of these for when I'm catching my DD. I was getting a bruise on the hand in the same place you're describing.

31HS42S0REL._AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: GLOVEMATE: Sports & Outdoors

Dec 9, 2010
But, I do need to ask, why is she getting hit in the palm so often? Are you certain that nothing is wrong with her set up?

Its not that she gets hit there during a session or game often; just once or twice when she tries to frame early, or just part of the ball hits right below the index finger.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jul 26, 2010
My daughter used a palmguard "inner glove" when she was 11 playing on 14u. She was a pitcher, but the catcher had a cannon. She actually started flinching after she caught it in the palm once. The inner glove was as much a mental device to get her over the ball fear as it was an aid. She's playing 12u now and no longer uses it.

That said, you can also have her adjust how she wears the catchers mitt. Put her pinky and ring finger in the same pinky finger and move the other two fingers over, so that there is no index finger where the index finger would normally be. This will give her a bigger pocket . It isn't catching the ball with the palm that is bruising her like that, it's catching the ball on the lowest digit of the index finger (where it meets the hand).

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My DD has been catching for 7 years. She has had her fair share of bruises, jammed fingers, etc. But she just admitted that for the last year her catching hand bruises and swells right below the index finger, and the bruising extends up both sides of her index finger. Her glove is new-ish, been trying to break it in over the last 18 months. Of course she is catching for pitchers that have more velocity (>60 mph). Can anyone recommend a catcher's pad or something like it that would help? I was shocked when she showed me her hand after a clinic recently.... She must have a high pain tolerance!

Thanks!

See the link below to the XProTex website. No affiliation w/ them on my part - just a C's dad and former C w/ a chronically bruised hand!

Womens STRYKR

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks Greenmonsters.... we did end up getting her an inner glove to wear that looks very similar to the ones on the site you posted.

Nice to hear from someone that knows the bruising phenomena first hand!:D

Jan 24, 2011
Davenport ia
get an xprotex glove they work great got one for me 12u dd and she hasn't complained since she loves it. it is like a batting glove but has extra padding in palm, also has padding for wrist and top of hand. a must have for a catcher. they have a web site ship out of california just ordered her the batting gloves and elbow gaurd for batting.

Sep 3, 2009
get an xprotex glove they work great got one for me 12u dd and she hasn't complained since she loves it. it is like a batting glove but has extra padding in palm, also has padding for wrist and top of hand. a must have for a catcher. they have a web site ship out of california just ordered her the batting gloves and elbow gaurd for batting.

How is the catcher's under glove? My dd was using a Palmguard, but it seemed to wear out pretty quickly. Their products look pretty good, curious about the quality.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am going to order dd xprotex. Palmguard has worked great, it does only last about a season, but I can't imagine anything else would last much longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06