Catchers glove Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2021
Last August I picked up an All-Star AF elite catcher's glove for my 14-year-old daughter. it took a while to break in and she's been using it consistently. she was always having balls pop out.. and I just figured it was her getting used to it or wasn't fully broken in. finally when I was fiddling with that I had put it on my hand and realized that when I squeeze it I couldn't completely close it. I realize she had the velcro strap so tight that you couldn't squeeze it completely. so now I have her wear it a little looser. but it's not exactly how she likes it.

any suggestions without checking out other gloves? this is not a problem I have had growing up playing ball.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
I think you already answered your own question - the strap was too tight.

The issue / challenge will be getting your daughter to accept it.

If she still insists on cranking down on the Velcro strap, you can try two options:

1. Undo the strap, put her hand in the glove, squeeze the glove close, THEN tighten the strap, and hope she doesn’t feel it’s still too lose once she relaxes her hand; or

2. Have her back her hand out of the glove, so you can see more of her palm. This may encourage her to squeeze it shut more with her fingers than with her hand (if that makes sense?).

Actually - three options - if she isn’t already doing so, TIP (two in the pinky) may alleviate the issue altogether. Try that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2021
The reason I'm asking is because this weekend we had a guest picture who threw quite a bit harder than our normal pitchers ...... The girl actually knocked off the glove on a strike three. My daughter picked up the ball and was able to throw the runner out without a glove on for the third out. I think she was more embarrassed than anything.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree with what @Gags said. If she's not doing TIP, have her switch. Some on this board will say that a Velcro strap is the Devil's spawn, but it's only an issue if it's cranked all the way tight. TIP will tighten the mitt for her without any strap adjustments, and you get the added benefit of getting another finger out of harm's way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi