Best glove/pad for palm "sting"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2009
Just ordered Xprotex for my DD. I hope she likes it. I see it has 1 year warranty. Palmguards have never lasted through the season, although you can buy 2 palmguards for price of xprotex.

Jul 11, 2009
Just gave dd her xprotex. Bought the reaktr instead of strykr because I was afraid that extra padding on back of strykr would be too thick for her fielding glove as she plays 1st and 3rd when not catching. If anyone is still considering one of these check it out. Just seen on site that all womens size and most girls size gloves are on sale for 50% off. Now thinking about getting her a pair of raykr or hammr batting gloves for the hand protection.
Womens

Sep 3, 2009
Just gave dd her xprotex. Bought the reaktr instead of strykr because I was afraid that extra padding on back of strykr would be too thick for her fielding glove as she plays 1st and 3rd when not catching. If anyone is still considering one of these check it out. Just seen on site that all womens size and most girls size gloves are on sale for 50% off. Now thinking about getting her a pair of raykr or hammr batting gloves for the hand protection.
Womens

Let me know what she thinks of that after a while. I was looking at that site since someone posted it. My dd too used the palmguards, but they broke down pretty quick.

Jul 11, 2009
Let me know what she thinks of that after a while. I was looking at that site since someone posted it. My dd too used the palmguards, but they broke down pretty quick.

I gave it to her Monday night for Bday. She left it lay on table. Came home from practice yesterday with a redmark on wrist and said, "Man I wish I had taken that glove with me". Needless to say she took it to school this morning so she will have it today at practice. Will try to post update in week or so if she has anything to say about it. If you are on fence about getting one, they are only on sale til the 15th. (I am in no way affiliated with them. Just seems like a decent product and trying to help others get a good deal) In fact for the price I am thinking about buying a couple more pairs, just in case they don't hold up any better than the palmguards.

Apr 1, 2010
Wow, I like that 50% off! Is there anyone here who has experience with the strykrs? I can see Daddy O's point, by the time you get padding on the palm and back of the hand, it's going to be pretty thick.

For $10 those Dingrs look pretty nice too! Are their batting gloves as good as their inside the mitt gloves?

Mar 21, 2011
An inner glove is good for sweat. The best thing to do is help her learn how to catch the ball properly. Too many young catchers learn to catch with their hand like they would if they didn't have a mitt. The ball should be caught in the pocket of the glove not on the fingers. Mitt selection is important as well. The hand shouldn't be all the way up inside the mitt. The bottom of the mitt should line up with the bottom edge of the palm of the hand. If the mitt can't be closed without having the fingers way up inside the glove then try a different mitt or work really hard to break it in so it can be closed easily. The suggestion of shifting fingers over one slot works ok for those gloves that really aren't designed for catching a 12" softball. It allows for the creation of a larger pocket by moving the fingers out of the way. Best thing is to buy a proper mitt appropriate to the ability and strength of the catcher.

Lesson learned the hard way.... I bought a mitt for my daughter when she was 11. I had no problem using it. She seemed to always be dropping balls with it. After some frustration and finally a discussion it turned out she wasn't strong enough to close it but didn't want to tell me because it was special to her because I bought it for her. One of many dumb dad lessons she taught me.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
An inner glove is good for sweat. The best thing to do is help her learn how to catch the ball properly. Too many young catchers learn to catch with their hand like they would if they didn't have a mitt. The ball should be caught in the pocket of the glove not on the fingers. Mitt selection is important as well. The hand shouldn't be all the way up inside the mitt. The bottom of the mitt should line up with the bottom edge of the palm of the hand. If the mitt can't be closed without having the fingers way up inside the glove then try a different mitt or work really hard to break it in so it can be closed easily. The suggestion of shifting fingers over one slot works ok for those gloves that really aren't designed for catching a 12" softball. It allows for the creation of a larger pocket by moving the fingers out of the way. Best thing is to buy a proper mitt appropriate to the ability and strength of the catcher.

Lesson learned the hard way.... I bought a mitt for my daughter when she was 11. I had no problem using it. She seemed to always be dropping balls with it. After some frustration and finally a discussion it turned out she wasn't strong enough to close it but didn't want to tell me because it was special to her because I bought it for her. One of many dumb dad lessons she taught me.

No catcher, no matter how advanced, can always catch the ball perfectly everytime. The ball moves slightly more/less than anticipated, foul tips, misjudgements etc are the culprits that will bruise the hand at least a couple times a game. The joke at the beginning of the season is that the catchers should prepare by hitting their catching hands with a hammer to get used to catching with a perpetual bone bruise. This is based on my experience as a BB catcher through college and catching FP SB once the speed tops 50-55 or so depending on the glove. My DD will soon be trying out the XproTex stryker glove

Jul 11, 2009
So far daughter loves her reaktr! I also got her a pair of dingers but she is not allowed to use them for school ball, will have to wait for summer ball. I also noticed they are still on sale on the website, they had told me "through the 15th" so I guess the 22nd (til whenever) is through the 15th :).

Apr 1, 2010
Well, I finally had the chance to see a pair of these (the DINGRs) and have DD try them on. Amazingly, she did like them and from tightness of the child's large, we can now make a good guess at what size to buy. Unfortunately, when I went out today to order a STRYKR and a pair of DINGRs, I found that the sale is over. I'll just have to wait for the next one.

In the meantime, I was wondering if one of those sweat wristbands would give her a little more protection above her mitt.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Wrist protection

There are wrist "bands" that look like sweat bands that have a flexible piece of plastic in it that would provide some protection. They are typically used for lacrosse. I use them playing hockey as I wear short gloves and have been struck by puck, and some "wayward" sticks. They work really well and feel like a sweat band. Don't notice the protective piece at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish