Best bat for 10U???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
My DD is moving up to 10U next spring. Up to this point bats didn't make much of a difference. Just wondering from some of you guys/gals, which bat have y'all seen preform well at this age group. If you could suggest 2 to 4 bats I'd appreciate it. Last year she swung a 27 in 15 oz bat. She's growing pretty good right now so probably get a 29 in bat next.

Thanks
Chad

Jun 24, 2013
Anything given here is going to be a wild a** quess but if you provide her general size it will make me fell better with my wild a** quess.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The one she can swing best? As James said without knowing height & weight anything is a wild guess. Also Travel A, B, C? Rec? Budget?

Oct 21, 2012
Sorry, James. My DD probably 4'4 and weighs about 70lbs. She's playing rec ball now. I'm mostly looking for bat brand or name of bat. Size and weight we'll measure up before I buy one.

Thanks
Chad

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
I was hoping to give you my DD’s old bat to try but she is a little bit small yet, not by much.

You are in the same place we have all been in, chasing length vs. drop. I would try this in 30”.

2012 DeMarini Bustos: DXBFP Fastpitch

Lot bigger drop then I would like but I like the 30" bat length.

Hands down my favorite bat for girls at 10U is the DeMarini CF6 or CF5 -11 model. It swings light (very important at this age) but still has some very serious pop.

At her size a 29" model probably makes sense but if she can swing the 30", it would last you a bit longer. Take her to a local dealer and let her try both out.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that if she prefers the 29" length, don't get her the 30" just so she can "grow into it." Get the 29" and know that down the road you can sell it quite easily for about $150 or so when she's done with it and use the proceeds toward a new and bigger bat.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am a big fan of a balanced -10 bat unless your DD is a slapper. You also need to be careful not to get her "too much bat" if she is transitioning from rec ball to TB. Pitch speeds will increase and you do not want her using a bat she cannot get around on a fastball. I would suggest a 29/19 or a 30/20 if she can swing it. Borrow a bat or two from teammates to try before you buy.

At 10U I would check Ebay and Play it Again Sports to see if you can find a good deal on a used bat. If you know older players ask if they have a bat they have outgrown that they would be willing to part with cheap. No sense dropping $300 on a new composite bat since your DD will outgrow it in a year.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm a fan of demarini, the Bustos, Vendetta, CF5 or CF6 depending on your price range and what your DD likes best swinging.

FWIW, my DD 4'9", 62 lb bean pole is moving up to 10U and she's using the Bustos 29/16 right now that we picked up for her 8U summer season on pretty good sale. I think we paid $55 for it new.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Play it Again Sports
Be careful with this option and know what bats are going for new and used before hitting up this option. I've seen used bats at our local PiAS that are marked for full undiscounted retail at their store.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 9yo DD (4'8", 75lb) is swinging a 29/17.5 Easton Synge, and likes it a lot. I found it for $90 new on eBay last Spring. The ball seems to jump off it a lot better than the typical aluminum bats. She's still growing like a weed, and I can see that we'll be into a 30 or 31 by the time the Spring season comes around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii