10U DD Need Some New Bat Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2018
Sounds like you have a big kid. Just be aware that a 5 ft tall 10yo generally has a very different strength component than an older more mature girl at that same height and weight. There are many many threads on here asking why their kid hit so well with a big bat in rec league or c level travel and then suddenly can't hit when they stepped up a level. Just take everything into consideration and don't be afraid to buy another bat and put this one away for a year or so if it doesn't work out. My kiddo is 5ft 5 115lbs freshman that is all muscle especially right now that she's playing soccer. She is cut with a 6 pack and arms to die for and she swings a 32 drop 10 at the highest level available to her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great advice. Arrows aren't one size fits all for every Indian for sure.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Kids that can't swing with a 'heavy' bat probably have bat drag and swing with their arms. Back in the Stone Age, I remember buying the 'lightweight' 19oz bat for my skinny 8 year old.

Fix the bat drag for free, and save the $$$ on buying a bat.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
We are doing our best with what her teammates have. It would be nice if we had the equivalent of a golf store with radar guns, launch monitors and the like but we don't.

You're doing better than 99% of people. I really can't tell you how many parents come to me and say "I got DD a so-and-so bat" and with a teeny bit of digging you realize it's 100% because her friend got the same bat.

We drove an hour to a store that lets you try bats. I called ahead to make sure the likely candidates were there. Kind of a pain, but it helped up pick the bat and feel confident with the choice.

Mar 15, 2019
California
We've had 2 more days of hitting and this is where we are.

Based on a size chart I found, she should be able to handle a 31. She is 5' and 116 pounds.

She gets more carry with the Zen but it doesn't really explode off the bat. Last night with her teammate's 30/19 Ghost, she hit one so hard off the pitching screen in front of her coach even his jaded self was taken back for a minute.

She now wants a 31" Dual Ghost and that is probably what we will end up doing. We will still hit both this weekend in her games weather permitting.
A 31" bat is appropriate. It's all about swinging a lot of bats to see what fits best.

My DD just got into a 31" earlier this year at 5'1", 88 lbs and is swinging a drop 10. Not a lot of mass on her but she can drive the ball by focusing on mechanics. The dual Ghosts do feel nice, just not a good fit for my DD. She swings a 2019 Rawlings Quatro (standard Quatro not Quatro Pro). She has better results with it or Mizuno/Demarini. Easton and Louisville are just a bit too heavy.

Jun 8, 2018
A 31" bat is appropriate. It's all about swinging a lot of bats to see what fits best.

My DD just got into a 31" earlier this year at 5'1", 88 lbs and is swinging a drop 10. Not a lot of mass on her but she can drive the ball by focusing on mechanics. The dual Ghosts do feel nice, just not a good fit for my DD. She swings a 2019 Rawlings Quatro (standard Quatro not Quatro Pro). She has better results with it or Mizuno/Demarini. Easton and Louisville are just a bit too heavy.

Yeah, it's why we will go with a drop 11 just for the Ghost. It's usually 1-1.25 ounces heavier than advertised.

May 4, 2020
So my daughter has been using a 30/19 2018 blue Ghost for a year and does really well with it. However, she has a bunch of NSA tournaments coming up and her 30/19 yellow Ghost is just meh. She is big for 10U and wants to upgrade to a 31 and this is an opportunity for me to get a new bat purchase past the Mrs. :cool:

She does well with her friend's 30/19 Dual Ghost at practice but she absolutely destroys with another friend's 31/21 CF Zen. She had a CFX 2 years ago and never really liked it. We are going to have her try both those bats in this weekend's NSA tournament.

I was planning on getting her the Dual Ghost but I am now left wondering if the Prism might be the better choice. No one on her team has one for her to try. I'd get her the Zen, but I hate to lose the double wall technology. Then there is the proven Ghost technology. The DD says it feels heavy to her, though.

Happy to take any advice anyone could impart. She is 10 and a half years old.
LXT or Ghost Advanced.

Mar 15, 2019
California
LXT or Ghost Advanced.
Have you experienced the Ghost Advanced bats breaking? On my DD's team, the girls have broken 5 bats in 2 months. The connection piece gets loose and wobbles or they develop a crack in the barrel very quickly.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad