Bat Recommendations 8U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2021
Hi, I'm looking for a bat suggestion for my 8U daughter. She is 7 years old and pretty small, between 3.5 and 4 feet tall and around 45 pounds. She has a mechanically solid swing, and has really good bat speed for her age/size. She will most likely move up to a 10U kid pitch league next year.

I bought her first "decent" level bat this year, which is a Dudley Lightning Lift composite in a 28/15. Im not terribly impressed with the bat, and she gets a lot of vibration on slight mishits. Id lime to get away from that issue. She swings ithe bat good, and it looks like a good size for her, I think she would also likely be fine with a 29/16 or something in that range.

I would like to find something in that size range with good pop, and a pretty forgiving barrel. I don't mind stepping into a mid range bat, because I don't think she will outgrow that size for a little while. Wondering what anyone would suggest?

Feb 14, 2019
Hi, I'm looking for a bat suggestion for my 8U daughter. She is 7 years old and pretty small, between 3.5 and 4 feet tall and around 45 pounds. She has a mechanically solid swing, and has really good bat speed for her age/size. She will most likely move up to a 10U kid pitch league next year.

I bought her first "decent" level bat this year, which is a Dudley Lightning Lift composite in a 28/15. Im not terribly impressed with the bat, and she gets a lot of vibration on slight mishits. Id lime to get away from that issue. She swings ithe bat good, and it looks like a good size for her, I think she would also likely be fine with a 29/16 or something in that range.

I would like to find something in that size range with good pop, and a pretty forgiving barrel. I don't mind stepping into a mid range bat, because I don't think she will outgrow that size for a little while. Wondering what anyone would suggest?
I'd look for a used Demarini CF in a 28/17 size...very balanced bats that are the most forgiving (my opinion) in the smaller sizes. She can use it for a couple of years probably and you can turn around and sell it for pretty much what you spent on it when she's ready for an upgrade.

May 4, 2021
depends what you are looking to plop down for a bat she is going to use for a short amount of time...all about budget

Like I said in my OP, im thinking she is likely going to be in a 28 inch bat for a few years unless she really hits a growth spurt. So I dont mind getting in to the 150-200 range for something she can use for a few seasons.

May 4, 2021
My 7 year old used a Hello Kitty bat. Then one with flowers on it. Then an LXT. :p

Yea we had a Rawlings bat with flowers, and then a pink Easton 😌

She likes it enough and puts practice time in, so I dont mind rewarding her,with something better. Plus she has a sweet swing, hate to waste some good hits that will get her really excited about the game because she is using a garbage bat .

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Thats tough...usually bats for that age will not last a few seasons as kids grow fassssst. And most bats higher than a
drop11 arent going to be the "top" of the line for any manufacturer.
You can always try used for the higher end bats, but its always buyer beware of course and most dont come with warranty. So always do your research and get great pics.
You can get some decent new bats in the 150 range. They are good full composite bats and think are perfectly fine for a kid that age.
Easton FRZ comes in drop12 but weight wise is more a drop11...and thats basically Mako technology. Mizuno has the Carbon1 in drop13.
Demarini does have the CF start at 28/17...but going to cost decent amount...unless you find used.

May 4, 2021
Thats tough...usually bats for that age will not last a few seasons as kids grow fassssst. And most bats higher than a
drop11 arent going to be the "top" of the line for any manufacturer.
You can always try used for the higher end bats, but its always buyer beware of course and most dont come with warranty. So always do your research and get great pics.
You can get some decent new bats in the 150 range. They are good full composite bats and think are perfectly fine for a kid that age.
Easton FRZ comes in drop12 but weight wise is more a drop11...and thats basically Mako technology. Mizuno has the Carbon1 in drop13.
Demarini does have the CF start at 28/17...but going to cost decent amount...unless you find used.

Yea I get what you are saying, she is pretty undeesized for a 28 by a bat chart is what I was thinking which would give her some room to grow. I was really looking for a 29/16 Bustos, but havent been able to find one.

One issue I am having is any real world reviews on any of the mid priced bats in the 150ish range. I'm completely fine with spending that for a season of use then passing it along if she outgrows it. But, I dont want to spend that on a bat that isnt any good and has crazy vibration or something either.

Nov 18, 2015
If she has a mechanically sound swing, does she really need a -13? If a -13 gives her really good bat speed, move to a -11. You may drop down a ranking to only "good" bat speed, but the extra mass of the bat should make up for it. You may even see less mishits as the bat won't deflect off the ball as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad