Bent Arm Circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Hi all, something weird was happening this weekend at a tourny we played in. My DD pitched 4 games throughout the day on Saturday. She had 31 K's and only walked 4 all day!! Just had to brag a little :) Anyway, I began to notice her arm circle was becoming bent in the 3rd and 4th game. Here is what is weird.....in those two games, she was throwing harder and more accurate with the bent arm circle than the first two games when there was little bend in it. We played the same team in the first game and the fourth game and the opposing coach came over to me and asked what we did to increase her velocity and accuracy. I know her arm was bent because I could see it but she was absolutley throwing GAS. I dont get it. Any advice?

May 31, 2012
Sounds like she's figured IR out. You don't want a stiff straight arm. Look at IR thread and watch boardmember do the drills. Bent arm, elbow leading down the backside of the circle.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Humpty, appreciate the reply but IR is how she pitches. The bend in the arm circle is a little more than what it is supposed to be.....

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sounds like she found her groove. I think you can drill technique over and over resulting in kind of a mechanical motion. Feeling the whip and allowing the body to find it's rhythm takes time. When it clicks, it's awesome! Don't get too caught up in the supposed to be's. Give her the pieces and let her figure out the puzzle.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Boomers,

You have heard everyone talk about throwing with a straight arm and locked elbow. That effectively locks out the larger muscles of the upper arm from contributing to bavll speed.

Put a little bend in that elbow through the entire circle, they get to help and you have faster speed.

If that bend is not QUITE enough, a tiny bit more and you get the best speed.

A llittle too much bend, however, and you slow down again. That perfect amount also seems to vary between individual pitchers.

I would also watch the front half of the circle. If she was trying to make a big arm circle from the glove to around 1:00 behind, andf then started making that part more of a straioght line, that can also pick up a few MPH.

Sounds like she is doing good.

Jun 24, 2009
What everyone else said. Don't be too over analytical. She is figuring this out. IR has varying degrees.

Sep 7, 2011
There is nothing wrong with a Bent arm. I personally teach girls to bend their arm and drive the elbow into their side prior to snapping the ball. This is similiar to bat lag, except your trying to create hand lag to get extra speed on the ball.

A bent arm is a good thing, too much bend is a bad thing. A Video would help diagnose a problem, if there really is one.

There are tons of "pitching coaches" that teach the straight arm method and paint the bench. Not good.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
GH, I trhink he meant a bent 'arm circle' not a bend in the elbow. I think most on this board would agree a bend in the elbow is a good thing and is a safe thing vs straight arm and locked elbow.

In a different thread I mentioneds that I always kept a Hoola-Hoiop at our academy. I would hold the hoola-hoop at their throwing side, straight up and down as they slowly made their arm cirle. Many times I would have to raise it and lower it a few inches at the top and bottom of the circle as it just wasnt quite big enough for taller / older pitchers. After that we would refer to the arm circle as their 'Hoola - Hoop' if something was a little off. "MAN O MAN! Did your Dad run over your hoola-hoop or what? It's bent in at the top!" "Straighten your Hoola - Hoopp! Its tilted".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA