Batting Progress for my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
The only thing that seems to be a constant is that My DD is swinging incorrectly and the guy I hired to fix it is teaching her the wrong way ;)

I think this is correct.

If you have the time, the best option is for you to educate yourself and become her hitting coach.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
If you have the time, the best option is for you to educate yourself and become her hitting coach.

Thought that was kind of what I was trying to do here .

I was just trying to get her started in the right direction using the advice you had given about her stance . Seeing as how I was not absolutely clear on what you meant I took some pictures to see if we were doing what you advised .

Oct 25, 2009
I have read the Megan 1-tee thread several times and its not helping me or my Daughter much . That is why I started my own thread .

I believe we have to start with the stance to progress through the swing . Part of my confusion may come from having 3-4 people who have differing opinions all giving their advice . The only thing that seems to be a constant is that My DD is swinging incorrectly and the guy I hired to fix it is teaching her the wrong way ;)

Most of the people on here have the same philosophy. They may argue details on certain aspects but everyone on here has the same basic fundamentals. You are not going to get a pat solution, it's a process. But it's not a difficult process and she will progress fairly rapidly. And much of the stuff you read now will make much more sense every time you read it. It's important that you try whatever advice you get on yourself, also. You need to learn along with your DD. All of it. The end result will be your DD's great swing and a new hitting coach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, I tend to agree that the guy was teaching something that went bye bye 10 years ago.

I could work with her from stance #1. Then, she would load from there (move the bat back.) I don't like the posture of her head, in any of these. It seems like it is in a bad angle, but maybe it is just the camera.

Oct 12, 2009
This is what I teach softball (and baseball) players to start out with...

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

Notice that, starting at set-up and with how she holds her bat, there are a number of significant differences between what your daughter does and what Caitlin Benyi does.

I'm inclined to teach what worked for Benyi, not what someone thinks or teaches is a good idea.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I did watch the Sue Enquist video and we have been working on the stride a bit since my last video . She seems to want to move her hips and hands at the same time in the same direction . I have been trying to come up with a way to hold the bat back so she can get her hips moving before the bat . The first go round I wasn't being very smart and just held the bat until she had moved her hips thinking she would check her swing . Wound up with some bruised ribs for my troubles there ;)

I am gonna try and have her get into her finished swing as was suggested elsewhere and then have her hold her hips there while she swings through the ball to see if that helps her understand what needs to happen .

I told her your mantra Amy '"Hips first , then hands."

We watched the Benyi video together but when her stance is as wide as Benyi's she struggles to get any stride at all . Thats why we narrowed her stance back up a bit . the other thing about the Benyi clip is that it appears to me that her back elbow is up . Originally she held her bat almost exactly like that but didn't stride . I was told that having the elbow up was incorrect so we spent the last year getting her to tuck the elbow down .

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Here's a training clip by Sue Enquist. She is definitely one of the best. She will have other clips on youtube as well. In this clip she is talking about toe touch (stride). You MUST be at toe touch when the ball arrives, so this is a very important lesson.

YouTube - ‪Fastpitch Hitting Instruction‬‏

There are some major problems with what she advises in that video.

Among other things, she doesn't seem to see the problem with bat drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes