Batting Progress for my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Hey guys , while I am grateful for the insight into what she is doing wrong it would be just as helpful if you can post what can be done to help remediate the issue . Some have posted information that I can use to help her but some comments are really of no help as I either don't understand what it is you are saying or I have no idea how to correct the issue in question .

Thanks again for everyones help and hopefully we can get her at least partly straightened out by Fall Ball .

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
2. She's driving the ball into the ground rather than hitting rising line drives.
What would be the cause of this? DD does exact same thing and how would this be corrected?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The cause - level shoulders and a level swing. I always say" You want to get the ball up and out of here." And I make sort of a Nike swish with my hand.

You want the hips to be ahead of the hands. The hips turn the back foot, not the other way around. As I go up to bat, I am thinking "hips, then hands." Because I was taught to hit exactly like you DD was and I have to focus on changing it.

Oct 25, 2009
Hey guys , while I am grateful for the insight into what she is doing wrong it would be just as helpful if you can post what can be done to help remediate the issue . Some have posted information that I can use to help her but some comments are really of no help as I either don't understand what it is you are saying or I have no idea how to correct the issue in question .

Thanks again for everyones help and hopefully we can get her at least partly straightened out by Fall Ball .

Don't let all the input overwhelm you. Your DD is going to be just fine. She MUST see lot and lots of pitches coming at her, not just off the tee. Even a ball hit with bad mechanics is going somewhere. So live pitching, whether it's soft front toss or fast pitches, is absolutely essential. That's because good timing is essential.

Here's a training clip by Sue Enquist. She is definitely one of the best. She will have other clips on youtube as well. In this clip she is talking about toe touch (stride). You MUST be at toe touch when the ball arrives, so this is a very important lesson.

YouTube - ‪Fastpitch Hitting Instruction‬‏

Oct 12, 2009
The cause - level shoulders and a level swing.

This is a big part of it.

Pulling the knob down to the ball can also cause this, as can starting with the hands too high.

JMO, but I don't like how high many softball -- and some baseball -- players hold their hands. I understand that you have to protect against the riseball, but some people seem to take this too far. They protect against the riseball but hurt a player's ability to hit anything else.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009

Is she being, or was she, taught to pull the knob to the ball?

I would start her hands lower and closer to her back shoulder with her back elbow still down, have her tilt forward slightly, and focus on hitting the ball just above level.

Putting the tee at the heel of her front foot (or even farther back in her stance) is also going to force her to change her swing because I doubt that she could hit the ball in that location well with her current swing.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Is she being, or was she, taught to pull the knob to the ball?

I don't know if that is what she was taught but that is how she understood it .

Just to make this a little easier lets start at the beginning and move forward . Lets start with batting stance .

Pic1 is her original stance .
batting_stance_1_.JPG

Pic2 Hands Lower and closer to her back shoulder
batting_stance_5_.JPG

Pic3 leaning forward
batting_stance_6_.JPG

Pic4 Or leaning forward ? (here she is leaning towards me not towards the pitcher)
batting_stance_7_.JPG

Oct 25, 2009
Batting stance won't tell you much. Some batters have weird stances. It's where you are when the ball gets there that matters.

Go to the thread Megan 1-Tee. Read through the whole thread. Most all of your questions will be answered in that thread. There are also many video clips that show progress throughout the dialogue.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I have read the Megan 1-tee thread several times and its not helping me or my Daughter much . That is why I started my own thread .

I believe we have to start with the stance to progress through the swing . Part of my confusion may come from having 3-4 people who have differing opinions all giving their advice . The only thing that seems to be a constant is that My DD is swinging incorrectly and the guy I hired to fix it is teaching her the wrong way ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12