Batting Progress for my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Her batting coach is suggesting she not stride . He says the good pitchers are learning to time this and will then use it to throw a change up . He referenced the most recent College World Series as well as some of the big hitters in baseball and said they were moving away from the stride and leaving the front foot planted . I am not saying he is right , just that that's what he is teaching her .

Oct 25, 2009
Her batting coach is suggesting she not stride . He says the good pitchers are learning to time this and will then use it to throw a change up . He referenced the most recent College World Series as well as some of the big hitters in baseball and said they were moving away from the stride and leaving the front foot planted . I am not saying he is right , just that that's what he is teaching her .

The batter times the pitcher using the stride. The pitcher doesn't time the batter. Under this forum see the Model Swings thread. There are many elite college players and I don't recall any who don't stride. Those batters you see on that thread don't bat the old way. That's why they are so effective.

As has been said before, a batter who doesn't stride will never be as good as she could have been.

A change up is another good reason you don't hit from a dead stop.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Her batting coach is suggesting she not stride . He says the good pitchers are learning to time this and will then use it to throw a change up .

I have never heard this.

I have also no idea how it would work. How would a pitcher time a batter when a batter is generally stepping at the same time as the pitcher? The pitcher can't change her pitch halfway through.

No stride, no power.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
The fact that she doesn't stride isn't the problem. The problem is that she doesn't load. Loading in the swing is needed just as a "wind-up" for a pitcher is needed. She deeds to develop some kind of controllable momentum in order to drive the bat through the ball with force. Controllable momentum is key because of what her coach has (oddly) stated regarding the change-up, and other off-speed pitches.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I spoke with one of her travel teal coaches yesterday and while her current hitting coach is teaching her some worthwhile info we may give another local hitting coach a try just to see what else is available . I know very little about hitting so I appreciate the input you guys are making .

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I noticed that she is pointing her index fingers out as she grips the bat. Even though she is doing this, she still needs to slot the bat into her grip at the proper angle. Just "lining up the knuckles" is not enough to ensure an efficient grip on the bat.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I noticed that she is pointing her index fingers out as she grips the bat. Even though she is doing this, she still needs to slot the bat into her grip at the proper angle. Just "lining up the knuckles" is not enough to ensure an efficient grip on the bat.

I don't know what you mean Jim . Can you explain it a little better ?

May 31, 2009

Have your DD try shortening her stance a little more and take a short step (approx. 4 to 6 inches). Also, as she steps, I think she needs to open her front foot up about a 45 degree angle (facing between first and second base). IMO, when a batter keeps their front foot planted and not open up when swinging, it has a tendancy to restrict the hips from coming around naturally, and forces the upper body backwards when swinging. Looks like your DD is just spinning on back toe to force the hips around, and swings with mostly upper body... with little power. Have your DD first take some dry swings with foot planted and closed, then with a small step and opening the front foot up a little bit when swinging, and see if she can feel a difference. I think a short step will help get her momentum going forward and get the right side coming around with more power. Finishing on the back toe should be the result from the follow through.
JMO......good luck!

Oct 12, 2009
Right now he is concentrating on getting her to turn her back foot and keep the front foot planted with the leg straight as well as turning her hips . I am not sure where he will be taking her from this but bear in mind she is just getting started and trying to overcome 7 years of Dad teaching her the wrong swing .

The issue is that she's not getting her power from the right place, which is due in part to the focus on turning her back foot.

She's really powering her swing with her back arm, and not her hips, which creates significant bat drag. It's also why she has to hit the ball so far out front. I doubt that she could hit a ball at the heel of her front foot.

There also the issues that...

1. She's squishing the bug, rather than getting the swing going with her hips.
2. She's driving the ball into the ground rather than hitting rising line drives.

P.S. Is she being taught to pull the knob?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp