Bat Tilting Issues with Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
I am a new assistant coach at the high school. We recentley had try -outs and the coach was switching everyones batting stance. He was making them tilt the bat back towards the catcher at a almost flat angle. He said that it puts the bat on the correct path quicker. A straight plane thru the hitting zone. I have never seen this before and think he is crazy. I coach middle school team also and this is against everything I am preparing the girls for.

Feb 16, 2011
If they are coaching a player during tryouts the coach has a control Issue.
I would have to agree with Quincy on that one!

He was making them tilt the bat back towards the catcher at a almost flat angle.
I seen a LL coach do this about ten years ago. When I asked him why he did that he told me "It's easier for them to hit the ball the hands are already flat, the bat head is in the zone already. Since then I've seen this method a few more times, but never at the "High School" level!

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen this method used by slowpitch players, who seem to use an overly large gut as a counterbalance to the bat laying flat across their upper arm. The goal seems to be to create a large amount of rotational force by utilizing the gut as the engine. I'm not exactly sure how this applies to girls softball or to the hitting mechanics of an athletically fit athlete, but could I hazard a guess as to the physical dimensions of said coach?

-W

Apr 27, 2009
Seen it and do it in slowpitch. Have wondered about the application in fastpitch, but when I go into the batting cage against the 60mph, I just can't make myself put the bat flat.

Dec 28, 2008
Players:
My question is "Which players listened to what the coach asked them to do, made the correction the coach asked for (despite grimaces from dads/moms) and still hit the ball in the tryouts?" I'd like to know because those are the athletes I'd want on my team and I'd invest my life in teaching players who understand that they can learn something from everyone and that "style" isn't what keeps anyone from hitting.

You:
Your job as an assistant coach is to pass out pillows if the head coach asks them to stand on their head and hit the ball. As you teach your MS students prepare them for life and help them understand that if they work with 10 coaches they will hear 10 different things and that what's important is that they learn how to continue learning by picking up something from each of the 10.

Head coach:
I can't make any assumptions based on what you indicate he asked them to do at 1 tryout, but I do know he's not really relevant to the story at all. This game (and life in general) ALWAYS comes down to whether or not we can control the 6" between our brains, or whether we allow someone else to effect our level of effort or our attitude. If you help the players, parents, boosters learn that this year, then you've set them up for success throughout life. Demonstrate it for them by the way you react to situations like that and challenge the leaders on the team to demonstrate it for the younger players. If parents/boosters pull you aside and start discussing an issue like that just say "Sue I appreciate your concern for your daughter, but I can assure you that your daughter is a talented athlete and you should admire the fact that she's making the adjustments and still hitting like a beast. I sure hope that on the ride home you'll reinforce that positivity that your daughters demonstrating. Very exceptional young lady, and I'm guessing she gets it from you." Then you can giggle, you've addressed her concern, and she'll never bring another ridiciculous issue like that to you again all year. She'll be both flattered, and will admire her daughter. More importantly she'll discuss the positive comments you've made about her little princess with her, so she'll be your #1 fan for life, instead of griping about what the head coach did that upset her.

I call that "Wintality".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Players:
My question is "Which players listened to what the coach asked them to do, made the correction the coach asked for (despite grimaces from dads/moms) and still hit the ball in the tryouts?" I'd like to know because those are the athletes I'd want on my team and I'd invest my life in teaching players who understand that they can learn something from everyone and that "style" isn't what keeps anyone from hitting.

You:
Your job as an assistant coach is to pass out pillows if the head coach asks them to stand on their head and hit the ball. As you teach your MS students prepare them for life and help them understand that if they work with 10 coaches they will hear 10 different things and that what's important is that they learn how to continue learning by picking up something from each of the 10.

Head coach:
I can't make any assumptions based on what you indicate he asked them to do at 1 tryout, but I do know he's not really relevant to the story at all. This game (and life in general) ALWAYS comes down to whether or not we can control the 6" between our brains, or whether we allow someone else to effect our level of effort or our attitude. If you help the players, parents, boosters learn that this year, then you've set them up for success throughout life. Demonstrate it for them by the way you react to situations like that and challenge the leaders on the team to demonstrate it for the younger players. If parents/boosters pull you aside and start discussing an issue like that just say "Sue I appreciate your concern for your daughter, but I can assure you that your daughter is a talented athlete and you should admire the fact that she's making the adjustments and still hitting like a beast. I sure hope that on the ride home you'll reinforce that positivity that your daughters demonstrating. Very exceptional young lady, and I'm guessing she gets it from you." Then you can giggle, you've addressed her concern, and she'll never bring another ridiciculous issue like that to you again all year. She'll be both flattered, and will admire her daughter. More importantly she'll discuss the positive comments you've made about her little princess with her, so she'll be your #1 fan for life, instead of griping about what the head coach did that upset her.

I call that "Wintality".

Dalton - I uderstand and respect your suggested approach, but... What if the HS math teacher was teaching the kids that 2+2=5, would you suggest the same i.e., the teacher/coach is always right? Unquestioned following of authority can be problematic. The original question was posted by an rear't coach. I'd suggest that the rear't have a private conversation w/ the head coach to discuss his concerns and direct his attention to the model swings thread here to assess the common elements exhibited by top hitters. If the problem had been presented by a player, I'd concur with your recommendation for compliance, at least intially during tryouts. From the description, I sense the coach is trying to teach an element of technique rather than a style tweak, so after tryouts I'd probably suggest to my DD to nod, smile, but hit the proper way if she asked for advice. If I had serious reservations a about a teacher or coach, I'd talk to the coach/teacher and follow up as necessary with the athletic directore/principal etc. if they couldn't sastisfactorily explain how 2+2=5. From a life lesson perspective, there are numerious examples of when blind acceptance of authority has had historical consequences.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
HS coaches can be wacky!

One thing I've noticed is that EVERYONE assumes that because a coach is the coach that he/she knows what they're doing.

several of these coaches (that I've seen) are under the assumption that girls can't swing fast enough so they "need" a short cut to the ball, rather than learning to hit correctly.

Sep 29, 2010
I absolutely can not agree with what youre saying Druer. Many people work with their kids for years before they ever get to High School to get them to a certain point. Many have kids that already have 5 years or more travel ball experience by the time they even get to High School.

I don't think anyone standing up and disagreeing with plain bad coaching is wrong in doing so, especially after spending so much time trying to just "get it right" in the first place. It is extremely hard to untrain bad habits as it is, why would anyone allow someone else to blatantly introduce more bad habits as described above?

My daughter is learning about the game of softball and I hope learning life lessons in the process. She shouldn't have to blindly accept what someone else says just for the sake of the person being in a position of authority said so.

I am trying to teach my daughter to be a leader...not a follower. If she sees something wrong, she needs to know that its okay to question it. Not quietly submit and accept it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32