Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
and that's not what fascia does or is even for....it just holds stuff together if you will.

If you have ever tried Rich's spring drill, you will figure it out much quicker when you stretch the fascia around your core instead of trying to stretch the muscles around the hip. Pick up the foot and you spring back. The muscles aren't doing that.

Muscles push.

May 3, 2014
So, while both AOS are creating tension during the stride it isn't until the lead foot lands that you can really get that last bit of tension by using the ground as leverage.

Apr 11, 2015
Mud, IMO, you need to stop thinking about it as muscles lengthening. There is a HUGE network of elastic material that runs throughout our body and it is called the Myofasical System.
You're asking me to simply pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...because that's basically all muscles do, they lengthen and shorten...and that the great and powerful Oz Myofasical System is somehow a stronger or new fang-dangled replacement for them all of a sudden.

Do you accept this Googled definition of the "Myofasical System"...
Myofascial tissue fibers are made up of collagen and elastin fibers that are arranged in a web-like structure and that are suspended in a fluid called ground substance. With a tensile strength of more than 2000 pounds, it provides a strong support for the muscles, while at the same time allowing for flexibility
...or what the myofasical tissue (fascia) do and/or are capable of doing (ie. the plastic wrap around the bungee cords)?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
The words "tension" and "eccentric contraction (or loading)" are not simply interchangeable. "Tension" is a force that pulls things apart (concentric contraction), and "eccentric contraction" is the force attempting to prevent something from being pulled apart ("muscles pull, they don't push").

"Loading" is a noun describing the goal you're trying to accomplish...that the verb "stretching" of a muscle in the SSC is being undertaken...which is getting accomplished by the other verb of the "contracting" of a muscle or muscle group . IOWs, "contraction" is the pulling of one muscle in the "loading", "lengthening", "stretching" of another (contracting the bicep...loads, lengthens, stretches the tricep for instance).

Not really, because you're saying that the fascia is creating the force(s) that the muscles are working against or unable to overcome, or that it's the weight or force that they must eccentrically contract against...and that's not what fascia does or is even for....it just holds stuff together if you will.

Crudely stated, but it would be like wrapping a bunch of bungee cords together with a stretchable plastic wrap to hold them all together to form a "muscle". The plastic wrap is not applying or adding any longitudinal forces along with or against the bungee cords, it's just sort of "compressing" then all together to keep that numerous "strands" of bungee cords from just flopping all over the place if not compressed together by the plastic wrap.

How about this, ever wear a compression sleeve? Does that somehow make your muscles stronger? Because that's basically all fascia is, and the "compression" it's putting on the muscles...it's not compressing the muscles themselves like they're some kind of spring building up potential energy or something...that's done by the longitudinal stretching of the muscle(s)...SSC.

Mud, if you anchor a rubber band down to something and pull on the other end, how is it affecting the rubber band? What would that force be called?

Apr 11, 2015
If you have ever tried Rich's spring drill, you will figure it out much quicker when you stretch the fascia around your core instead of trying to stretch the muscles around the hip. Pick up the foot and you spring back. The muscles aren't doing that.

Muscles push.
If you believe that, then there's absolutely no point in any further continued conversation. That is simply categorically untrue.

First thing a simple Google search will get you...
Muscles - Work in pairs
Skeletal muscles only pull in one direction. For this reason they always come in pairs. When one muscle in a pair contracts, to bend a joint for example, its counterpart then contracts and pulls in the opposite direction to straighten the joint out again

Btw, Rich adds zero credibility when it comes to talking anything wrt how the body works or doesn't work. I told him that drill was BS when he came out with it, and tried to sell that crap along with his other pseudoscience garbage.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Mud, if you anchor a rubber band down to something and pull on the other end, how is it affecting the rubber band? What would that force be called?
It would be called...something else is pulling on the rubber band, and the rubber band is not "eccentrically contracting" itself. The resulting "tension" was put onto or into the rubber band by something else.

But the bigger question is...do you believe that muscles are like rubber bands in how they work?

Apr 11, 2015
Also please excuse my use of improper grammar. I already told you that I am not a highly educated person.
No worries, just a (hopefully friendly) conversation. I'm just trying to understand how this new "Myofasical System" theory stuff is being applied to the swing process in comparison to all of the previously learned physiology, and kinesiology already widely accepted wrt it.

May 3, 2014
If you believe that, then there's absolutely no point in any further continued conversation. That is simply categorically untrue.

First thing a simple Google search will get you...

Btw, Rich adds zero credibility when it comes to talking anything wrt how the body works or doesn't work. I told him that drill was BS when he came out with it, and tried to sell that crap along with his other pseudoscience garbage.

By contrast, fascia uses mechanical energy, not stored chemical energy, to apply a force. Lengthening fascia stores mechanical energy, which is then released as the fascia returns to its starting length. Improving the efficiency of fascia to transition from lengthening to shortening can help improve overall force output.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Trying to better understand myself. Looks like Myofasical kind of ties muscles and bones together into one like the body is one continuous piece of elastic ?

btw, I appreciate all the discussion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06