Bat Inspection?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Playing 12U NSA this past weekend, a batter on DD's team hit a line drive back at the pitcher and hit her in the foot. Pitcher went down for a moment but stayed in the game (moved to RF). After the at-bat, the PU confiscated the bat, stating that any batted-ball related injury had to result in a bat inspection by the UIC. Is there any validity to this rule?

FWIW, the bat was a RockeTech, so the odds of it being modified are pretty slim. The player ultimately did get the bat back (after completion of the game, she did not hit again). Just curious about the ruling and whether this was normal procedure. I've never seen it called in 10 years of coaching.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I've never seen that or heard of it before. PU and FU(s) should have inspected bats before the game, but if UIC needs to check after a batted-ball injury, the point is moot.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Ive seen this discussed in NSA and ASA as something the UIC has the authority to do in a case such as the one noted.

Jun 22, 2008
I have never been told in any ASA tournament I have worked to confiscate the bat if a defensive player was hit by the ball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Playing 12U NSA this past weekend, a batter on DD's team hit a line drive back at the pitcher and hit her in the foot. Pitcher went down for a moment but stayed in the game (moved to RF). After the at-bat, the PU confiscated the bat, stating that any batted-ball related injury had to result in a bat inspection by the UIC. Is there any validity to this rule?

FWIW, the bat was a RockeTech, so the odds of it being modified are pretty slim. The player ultimately did get the bat back (after completion of the game, she did not hit again). Just curious about the ruling and whether this was normal procedure. I've never seen it called in 10 years of coaching.

Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to some jail house legal advice. A TD can certainly implement such a rule but it is pretty silly especially in 12U. While rolled bats are quite common it is doubtful any serious modification is taking place.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A bat was removed during my student's game, in PHX, on Sunday. It was declared illegal - after the girl hit. As I understood it, the previous hits with the bat stood.

Bats are removed in SP, but maybe it is becoming more common in FP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish