Bat Inspection?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
To clarify, I was told it is an NSA rule (though I did not find it in the rulebook either). This is the only NSA tournament my team will play this year, so I'm not overly worried about it. Just interested in finding out if it really was a rule.

The umpire told me when he took the bat that he was sure she would get it back without question, since it was aluminum and likely not compromised in any way. He also took the ball for inspection along with the bat, which I found funny. Didn't HE supply the ball?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Review page 90 of either book:

NSA Altered Bat and Altered Ball Procedures
For the past several years the NSA has embarked on more stringent test procedures for bats and balls. NSA feels that it has the very best testing procedures in the game; however, there are always players, coaches and outside agencies who will do their best to get around these rules. The rules were implemented to keep our patrons safe and to make this game the safest it can be. With the one word “SAFETY” in mind, NSA will not tolerate anyone who would embark in any manner that would put our patrons in peril. As a Director, UIC or Umpire, if you feel that a player may be using an altered bat or ball in NSA play, the Director or UIC will have the authority to inspect the bat or ball and to suspend the suspected player(s). The offending player(s) will have two choices only: 1) He/she can allow the NSA representative to inspect the bat or ball and the NSA representative can reach a conclusion as to whether the bat or ball may be altered or he/she can refuse to allow the representative to inspect the bat or ball and take an immediate five (5) year suspension from any and all NSA play with no right of appeal. In addition to the immediate five (5) year suspension by the offending player and/or team, failure to allow a site inspection of the bat or ball...

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest

For the past several years the NSA has embarked on more stringent test procedures for bats and balls. NSA feels that it has the very best testing procedures in the game; however, there are always players, coaches and outside agencies who will do their best to get around these rules. The rules were implemented to keep our patrons safe and to make this game the safest it can be. With the one word “SAFETY” in mind, NSA will not tolerate anyone who would embark in any manner that would put our patrons in peril. As a Director, UIC or Umpire, if you feel that a player may be using an altered bat or ball in NSA play, the Director or UIC will have the authority to inspect the bat or ball and to suspend the suspected player(s). The offending player(s) will have two choices only: 1) He/she can allow the NSA representative to inspect the bat or ball and the NSA representative can reach a conclusion as to whether the bat or ball may be altered or he/she can refuse to allow the representative to inspect the bat or ball and take an immediate five (5) year suspension from any and all NSA play with no right of appeal. In addition to the immediate five (5) year suspension by the offending player and/or team, failure to allow a site inspection of the bat or ball...

BINGO. Just because we may have not been told or our area is not doing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In the ASA National Convention (nov 2013) they discussed this topic in detail including changing the ball compression. The end result was they cant physically make people stop altering bats so they can give as much authority to directors and UICs as possible and continue to study the ball change. They then took volunteer teams to use the new ball all season as one of the last steps in considering the change.

Ill dig thru my notes but ASAs specifically said in the case a player is injured by a batted ball the UIC has the authority to inspect the bat and make a decision on its use. It was pretty generic what they can do.

It was discussed that we don't want anyone to be able to simply complain and get a bat inspected or removed like in NSA as that is abused by bush league coaches. The catalyst was an injury.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
So I understand this, people cheat by modifying the bat or there are a list of bats that are just not allowed?

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA

It seems to me that there has to be some suspicion of using an altered bat for this rule to come into play. The umpire who took the bat specifically told me he did NOT think the bat was altered; in fact told me that since it was aluminum that he was sure it was fine.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Inspecting the bat is one thing..
Confiscating the bat 'til the end of the game, or UIC gets around to inspecting it, doesn't appear to be covered in the language above

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I recall someone getting seriously hurt by a batted ball. By the time they had attended to the player the bat used was all the sudden nowhere to be found and that led to suspicion. (I hope I remembered this correctly and didn't imagine it...dang old age)

If a bat has been altered and someone gets hurt there could be serious liability issues. I doubt a kid getting hit in the foot adds up to what would be deemed a serious injury since she stayed in the game.

I'm sure if you're a coach or dad who allowed a shaved bat in the game and someone got hurt you'd want that bat to disappear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12