Base running starts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably wrong and will repeat myself.

Get off the bag, I do not care if you speedster or not to fast.

The decision they make is what is important, if they hear me say go they are late.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Probably wrong and will repeat myself.

Get off the bag, I do not care if you speedster or not to fast.

The decision they make is what is important, if they hear me say go they are late.

Yes, get off the bag on every pitch. I'm with you there. But if you're facing away the base, you can't dive back on a line drive (or catcher's throw behind the runner). If you're facing toward home plate, you can.

I still don't see the net benefit to starting off facing the next base.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes, get off the bag on every pitch. I'm with you there. But if you're facing away the base, you can't dive back on a line drive (or catcher's throw behind the runner). If you're facing toward home plate, you can.

I still don't see the net benefit to starting off facing the next base.

A smart catcher does! :)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would have the base-runner use the start that gets her off the bag when she should be off. I've filmed this and found that it just depends on the runner. Thus, I didn't dictate everyone use the same start. I dictated that they had to use the start that got them off when they should be off, and I proved it filming them trying the different starts.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I would have the base-runner use the start that gets her off the bag when she should be off. I've filmed this and found that it just depends on the runner. Thus, I didn't dictate everyone use the same start. I dictated that they had to use the start that got them off when they should be off, and I proved it filming them trying the different starts.

But this is still with the thought of stealing a base in mind, right? Those fractions of a second don't make a difference if a runner is just getting the equivalent of baseball's secondary lead.

Maybe I'm underestimating how often runners try to steal a base.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
But this is still with the thought of stealing a base in mind, right? Those fractions of a second don't make a difference if a runner is just getting the equivalent of baseball's secondary lead.

Maybe I'm underestimating how often runners try to steal a base.

Unlike BB, in FP a runner who isn't stealing has a very good chance of advancing on most balls in the dirt IF they time their break and make a good read on the pitch (Unless there is a catcher beast behind the plate)!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
the size of the field mean those fractions are more important. a good jump on every pitch is a must.

At the levels I tend to watch, I don't see a lot of stealing. If you're not stealing, I don't see how there's difference in how you take your lead because you're getting to the same point before you pause to see what happens.

I'm not sure if I'm not being clear, but I totally get why stealing bases could be quicker with the sprinter start. But if you're running a small percentage of the time, it doesn't seem all that wise to start that way when you open yourself up to getting doubled off/picked off by a catcher a lot more often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez