Base running starts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm always willing to be convinced I'm wrong about something, but I just don't understand the preferred softball styles of starting at the base.

I get that, if running in a straight line, you want to face your target and go (I don't much care about the arguments between starting behind the bag/in front of the bag). But here's the thing: that only makes sense if you're definitely, 100% of the time, sprinting in a straight line to the next base.

So here's my question: Are there just not that many line drives caught by infielders in fastpitch softball? Because if you don't do a baseball start (facing, basically toward home plate if you're on first or second), you're almost guaranteed to be out if your back is to the base when the ball is hit.

Or is the rationale that stealing is so important in the game that you'll sacrifice the occasional double play for the advantage facing the base gives you?

This is one of those baseball/softball differences that don't make sense to me, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do not get doubled played on line drive, sometimes you get caught nothing you can do.

Rather them get off the base, take my chances on DP.

Stuff happens.

Sep 29, 2014
Your runners definitely need to have theirs heads on a swivel watching the ball...but I think it is a softball thing if you side hop like baseball given how close the bases are you will get thrown out at second far too often, many times on a tough shot where a decision needs to be made in a split second fielders go to first because they know the runner at first got a jump and they don't have much of a chance to get them and I even coach it go to 1B if there is any doubt in your mind, in baseball you can look up in that split second and actually see whats going on if you look up in softball and try and access the situation before you decide where to throw the ball odds are both runners are safe.

May 17, 2012
Do not get doubled played on line drive, sometimes you get caught nothing you can do.

Rather them get off the base, take my chances on DP.

Stuff happens.

I disagree.

If the ball goes through the IF (single) the runner scores easily;
If the ball doesn't go through the IF the runner is going on release if applicable, an aggressive lead is not helping you in this case (you should have a walking lead in foul territory);
If the runner is going on contact (hit and run or angle down) then all bets are off and sometimes you will get doubled up as this is an agressive tactic.

There is no scenario other than the last one where being agressive at 3B will help you. It's amazing how many teams screw this up. I suppose at the younger ages where there are passed balls you might change tactics.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, if runners are not running they will get in trouble.

Some stupid mistakes but you are runner, run.

Not best coach, we run into a few outs.

Nov 18, 2015
DJC - I agree, as that's how I imagine the game is actually played at higher levels. I compare it (slightly) to the few glimpses of the LLWS I see each year - I'm surprised to see any double plays - they usually require that perfect combination of a hard hit ball, a cleanly fielded ball, quick turn, and perhaps a slower-than-average runner.

I guess my thinking on the "sprinters start" is more akin to getting a secondary lead in baseball - since you have to start AT the bag, I would think that unless it's a straight steal, or maybe a line drive that pulls the fielder directly towards the bag (where it would be catch ball - touch base type play), how away are you getting? Are the "nothing you could do about it" double plays common enough to warrant a more controlled move off the bag?

Nov 29, 2009
DD uses a spinner start but she needs to stop to see what batter does.

Runner can be as quick or fast as they want but they need to slow down or stop waiting for batter.

Your DD is doing it wrong then if she is stopping. On a straight steal she needs to be taking a look home between the 2nd and 3rd step. If the hitter puts the ball in play she needs to make an adjustment. If the ball is going through to the catcher she needs to keep running as fast as she can to complete the steal.

On a hard 3 step lead she needs to be looking at home between the 2nd and 3rd step. Then stop or go depending on what the hitter does.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Are the "nothing you could do about it" double plays common enough to warrant a more controlled move off the bag?

This is really my question.

I suppose there is a lot that goes into it. If you're a team of fast players that steals a lot, maybe you live with it. If your runners aren't stealing many bases anyway, perhaps don't worry about it? Or go on a player by player basis. I'd prefer my lumbering power hitters starting like a baseball player since that fraction of a section she'd save by starting like a sprinter isn't going to help her steal a bag, but the girls who can swipe a few bags should always start in sprinter position (obviously you can't have the same player alternating styles or they'll give away what they're going to do).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez