Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2020
What's everyone's take on this sort of thing? Some think this is a heads up use of the rules. I think this is cheating and WILL NOT teach my girls to do this. I will, however, show them this video and teach them what to do about it.

I have no idea why the short stop wasn't screaming for the ball at third base.

Class C State Softball Game

Watch the runner that starts on second base. Rumor around here is, the coach told the original runner to do this and she refused so the coach subbed her out for one that would. I've coached against this coach for years with my older daughter's teams and this doesn't surprise me a bit.

The runner left early anyway so this should've been a dead ball with runner out at 2nd to begin with.

They lost the game, too!

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

The play is apparently designed to divert attention. It's calculated and blatant cheating that must be taught. Don't know how a HS coach who does this still has a job.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What's everyone's take on this sort of thing? Some think this is a heads up use of the rules. I think this is cheating and WILL NOT teach my girls to do this. I will, however, show them this video and teach them what to do about it.

Class C State Softball Game

Watch the runner that starts on second base. Rumor around here is, the coach told the original runner to do this and she refused so the coach subbed her out for one that would. I've coached against this coach for years with my older daughter's teams and this doesn't surprise me a bit.

The runner left early anyway so this should've been a dead ball with runner out at 2nd to begin with.

They lost the game, too!
Umpires failed.

Jun 8, 2016
In order to BASErun one has to actually touch a base so I am going to go with Door A on this one..

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As an umpire, this is still an appeal play. So I need SOMEONE - ANYONE - to make an appeal of ANY kind and I am ringing that out up. But I can't just call it.

Secondly, despite their other issues, NFHS does take this sort of thing seriously. I have seen reports that the coach has said it was a taught play and they called it. Expect the coach to be suspended for at least the next season and if the AD doesn't fire them, then the AD needs to go as well.

As for my take, it is way beyond 100% bush league and if I called a play like that I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I could never bring myself to intentionally do this or anything like it. Some people are just scum and hopefully they now gets treated like the scum they truly are by everyone as they have 100% shown the world exactly what kind of person they are.

Jan 25, 2022
Wow. She left early, and I thought that was the point of the post. I didn't even notice she cut 3B by 8 feet. That's crazy. We ran across one team in particular last year who had every runner leaving early. It was so blatant. Couldn't have been inadvertant. We talked about it loud enough for the 1B coach to hear, and he corrected it quickly.

Jun 27, 2021
Two umpire system taken advantage of. With it being on video and the word that it was designed play, I would hope that this will be addressed by the AD with a stiff punishment or possible resignation by the coach. This will forever be this teams legacy attached to their time at state. You coach and play the game with integrity. But once again the adults ruin it for the kids.

Jun 27, 2021
As an umpire, this is still an appeal play. So I need SOMEONE - ANYONE - to make an appeal of ANY kind and I am ringing that out up. But I can't just call it.

Secondly, despite their other issues, NFHS does take this sort of thing seriously. I have seen reports that the coach has said it was a taught play and they called it. Expect the coach to be suspended for at least the next season and if the AD doesn't fire them, then the AD needs to go as well.

As for my take, it is way beyond 100% bush league and if I called a play like that I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I could never bring myself to intentionally do this or anything like it. Some people are just scum and hopefully they now gets treated like the scum they truly are by everyone as they have 100% shown the world exactly what kind of person they are.
At what point do you go over blatant cheating in practice, is that before or after infield work?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom