Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Luckily we always seem to have enough parents who notice it and yell at the umps every pitch :rolleyes:
I hate when parents yell at umps but I guess it does make them more aware of it even if it's not really happening.

Agreed. This is what I see as well.

Oct 27, 2015
What's everyone's take on this sort of thing? Some think this is a heads up use of the rules. I think this is cheating and WILL NOT teach my girls to do this. I will, however, show them this video and teach them what to do about it.

I have no idea why the short stop wasn't screaming for the ball at third base.

Class C State Softball Game

Watch the runner that starts on second base. Rumor around here is, the coach told the original runner to do this and she refused so the coach subbed her out for one that would. I've coached against this coach for years with my older daughter's teams and this doesn't surprise me a bit.

The runner left early anyway so this should've been a dead ball with runner out at 2nd to begin with.
The Link to the video doesn’t work for me.

May 29, 2015
I hate when parents yell at umps but I guess it does make them more aware of it even if it's not really happening.

No, not really. For the most part, we aren’t processing what parents are yelling.

I once had a batter batting out of order. I recognized it, and because of that I was listening in. Parents were yelling about it. The bookkeeper dad was yelling about it.

Parents are not the coach. Bookkeeper dad is not a coach (not in his folding BarcaLounger under a tent with a portable AC blowing on him behind home plate). I am not the coach.

Later the coach asked about it. He got upset when I informed him BOO is an appeal play and ONLY HE could have done something about it. Nobody doing any amount of yelling matters if he doesn’t call time and appeal.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
No, not really. For the most part, we aren’t processing what parents are yelling.

I once had a batter batting out of order. I recognized it, and because of that I was listening in. Parents were yelling about it. The bookkeeper dad was yelling about it.

Parents are not the coach. Bookkeeper dad is not a coach (not in his folding BarcaLounger under a tent with a portable AC blowing on him behind home plate). I am not the coach.

Later the coach asked about it. He got upset when I informed him BOO is an appeal play and ONLY HE could have done something about it. Nobody doing any amount of yelling matters if he doesn’t call time and appeal.
I was watching the stream of a game and could tell which parents were behind the camera. They were yelling at the ump about the strike zone. And telling him that needed to stand in a better spot because clearly he couldn’t see well enough. I then saw the ump turn around and give them a warning and then the parent was just like. I was talking to my buddy. I would think the home plate ump hears a lot. At home games I sit in the press box so I’m not as close but can hear the parents yelling and I cringe every time. And if I’m down on the field I also try to keep my mouth shut since I’m near the cameras too. Not a good look to always be yelling.

Dec 11, 2010
When I was coaching I didn’t hear much of the parents from outside the fence. My wife would ask “did you hear…” and usually I had not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying