barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Trout walks out fastball, that’s not a guess. That’s an approach. He’s looking for this pitch. Then he adjusts if needed, out front because he doesn’t TTB. No early committal.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
As long as hitters hold the barrel above the zone, the first part of the swing will be down. Are you saying they hit with a negative attack angle?

Are they swinging entirely in the S plane because if they get the bat past the centerline like WW says then that's in the transverse plane.

FYB? they all appear to have their weight on their front leg (back leg up on toe for some, off the ground for others) so what's back?

The swing is initiatiated within the s-plane and they attempt to keep as long as they can.. Of course all planes of motion are used.

FYB is getting into the front side including the front leg while not compromising the rear leg/hip relationship.

c30mmxd.gif

KIInqE1.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The swing is initiatiated within the s-plane and they attempt to keep as long as they can.. Of course all planes of motion are used.

FYB is getting into the front side including the front leg while not compromising the rear leg/hip relationship.

c30mmxd.gif

KIInqE1.gif

yes ! yes ! yes !

Jul 29, 2013
pulling off the ball has nothing to with ‘down to’ or inside the ball. It’s about resistance and proper force production/transmission. TTB is a cast glorified. Hit it deep in the zone or perish. Taught it for awhile. Can’t hit low and away and off-speed.
Can't hit low and away? Ask the guys I play with....that's my favorite pitch!
In fact, everything down is easy to hit the crap out of with TTB. The guys who struggle with it must be doing it wrong. Their feel isn't real.

Jul 29, 2013
what? he moves out fastest pitch and adjusts to slower breaking stuff in the front of the zone. There really is no other way to get it done.

you can’t walk out of off speed and adjust to fastball. You get blown up if you don’t get the off speed.

So you're saying Trout guesses fastball every pitch and adjusts to whatever else might be coming? He doesn't know, so he guesses? Like JD?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So you're saying Trout guesses fastball every pitch and adjusts to whatever else might be coming? He doesn't know, so he guesses? Like JD?

no. I am saying his timing is set for a fastball and he adjusts out front for lesser speed pitches. He concerned with the speed. Not the pitch. Can’t do that from 1 leg or if you TTB for force production.

Jul 29, 2013

c30mmxd.gif

KIInqE1.gif
Any of those guys gonna swing that stick?

You said that "they are swinging down within the s plane," in response to me saying the barrel first moves rearward to get on plane and then up and forward to the ball. Of course this is a TTB ferris wheel swing happening in the sagittal plane. I pointed out that DNT isn't in the sagittal plane as much as the transverse plane which is what WW says, "across the mid line."
Now you're saying the swing is "initiated" in the sag plane. I'm happy to see you now agree with me.

So FYB is into the front while remaining back? Sounds like a fancy way of saying "centered." But then we don't sound as smart. Huh?

Jul 29, 2013
well maybe you drag the bat. 😆
Obviously you don't understand TTB.
I'm renaming it DBT for DEEP BARREL TURN because it gets the barrel behind that low and away pitch so well!
If I dragged the bat, or floated it, or got it to lag and then whipped it, the low and away would be impossible to hit. I'd only hit oppo flares and pop-ups. The barrel would never get behind the ball to square it up. I'd be swinging "down to" the ball and then going back to the dug out.

Jul 29, 2013
no. I am saying his timing is set for a fastball and he adjusts out front for lesser speed pitches. He concerned with the speed. Not the pitch. Can’t do that from 1 leg or if you TTB for force production.
If his timing is set for fastball, does that mean he knows what's coming?
No. So he's guessing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad