barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016

So what is going on with Howard here? Is this an aberration (for him) or would Howard be somebody who would fall under the TM umbrella but not considered elite by others? I've seen a similar check from Yelich but I cannot find it at the moment.

Oct 2, 2017
I believe his turn two, e.g. barrel release, would be right 11s in the Griffey video. That is when I think @Work=wins (and others..the whole barrel release thing was 1CA's deal right @Work=wins ? ) is saying you want to apply force into the handle at that point whereas TM is saying you do it right at launch and then no more force is applied after that.

I would say at this point in my understanding is the bolded above and it why I asked 2 and not 1 turn. Not because of what TM has maybe said, but just by what I see.

Jun 8, 2016
I would say at this point in my understanding is the bolded above and it why I asked 2 and not 1 turn. Not because of what TM has maybe said, but just by what I see.
@TDS and @Work=wins (among others) are attributing the initial turn of the barrel that starts it along its path to a pulling core alone and not handle torque. Barrel release e.g. "second turn" does (I think..) involves some handle torque.. Again they would be better at explaining what they think then I am (obviously).. @FP26 probably knows these descriptions better than me as well so maybe he can chime in. I could be totally botching the descriptions in which case I am sorry...kind of :LOL:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
TM says launch from max coil right? Mike Q coaches that right? That’s GO right? The swing shifts the pelvis right? Not what Maddie is doing there.

You're absolutely right. Even pro hitters aren't able to execute their best swing mechanics when they get fooled and end up out of position. The change-up swing I posted is not an example of anything except a good HS-age hitter using the tools she has to make something good happen. One of those tools is her ability to generate quick barrel speed, which has improved since working with Mike Q.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

So what is going on with Howard here? Is this an aberration (for him) or would Howard be somebody who would fall under the TM umbrella but not considered elite by others? I've seen a similar check from Yelich but I cannot find it at the moment.

Howard is creating barrel movement in a completely different plane. Howard is creating his barrel movement east and west or batters box to batters box (dug out to dug our). Basically lowering the barrel.

TM is creating movement north and south or catcher to pitcher.

Not even remotely close to Howard’s action.

Jun 8, 2016
Howard is creating barrel movement in a completely different plane. Howard is creating his barrel movement east and west or batters box to batters box (dug out to dug our). Basically lowering the barrel.

TM is creating movement north and south or catcher to pitcher.

Not even remotely close to Howard’s action.
Forgot about what TM is doing...probably should of said that to begin with :LOL:

Do you think the action Howard shows can be done without any handle torque? Honest question.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You're absolutely right. Even pro hitters aren't able to execute their best swing mechanics when they get fooled and end up out of position. The change-up swing I posted is not an example of anything except a good HS-age hitter using the tools she has to make something good happen. One of those tools is her ability to generate quick barrel speed, which has improved since working with Mike Q.

I see it the other way I guess. A hitter abandoning her mechanics and making an adjustment to create a good outcome. She did abandon all the ‘absolutes’ of the Self-proclaimed ‘HLP’ to create a good result correct? You just admitted so much in the above post.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: TDS
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
@TDS and @Work=wins (among others) are attributing the initial turn of the barrel that starts it along its path to a pulling core alone and not handle torque. Barrel release e.g. "second turn" does (I think..) involves some handle torque.. Again they would be better at explaining what they think then I am (obviously).. @FP26 probably knows these descriptions better than me as well so maybe he can chime in. I could be totally botching the descriptions in which case I am sorry...kind of :LOL:

Seems like you are explaining it pretty well to me... I really cannot speak for TM as I don't follow him that closely. I believe I have a decent understanding of his concepts, but also believe that his explanations can be a little difficult to follow at times. It's my belief that @TDS and others are more concerned about the core and the pulling action it creates. Frankly, I have never debated that. The core is heavily involved and when max stretch is reached, the core will "change direction" for lack of a better term. On the other side of the spectrum are those that focus primarily on hand action. Some will claim that torquing the barrel causes the "burst" at launch. Personally, I look at the hands as a "trigger", but just like a gun, the trigger is not the only thing involved in launch. It takes a pulling core and hand torque to fully maximize barrel speed. Juts my .02...

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Forgot about what TM is doing...probably should of said that to begin with :LOL:

Do you think the action Howard shows can be done without any handle torque? Honest question.

I think it might be a combination of actions. It’s not unhinge the top hand, such as TM (sorry for mentioning him).

I think the hands create a rotational point and the lowering of the back elbow is a downward action combined with creating a rotational point.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I know you are not asking me, but my opinion is absolutely not. In my opinion handle torque is blatantly obvious in a clip like that. At least the handle torque that I am interested in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi