barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I'm glad you posted that, I've been trying to find that pvc wall gadget on here in a post to get the dimensions! Wouldn't happen to remember a post where it was discussed do you?
@Westwind Helped me about a month with the dimensions: Adjust to your hitters age and size

Westwind said:

They can vary- I made two styles

The one with the arched hose with foam on it is 32” or so off the ground

The all PVC 1 1/2” version was about 31”

All my hitters are hs age

Aug 20, 2017
Agreed. The action of TTB at "go" utilizes handle torque, gravity, and rotational forces to accelerate the barrel as quickly as possible, and keep accelerating it through contact, maximizing quickness and velocity. I can't fathom how someone wouldn't want those things.
Just asking, not trying to start a war lol, but what if you get fooled by off speed. I understand you not torquing until “go”. It seems to me that TTB as quickly as possible would equal an early commital to the ball and limit adjustability.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You're making excuses. Barrel dump is not an automatic result of TTB. It's a faulty application of the concept. If the hitter is having barrel dump issues, the instruction needs adjusting.

This young hitter is doing just fine... https://twitter.com/andyEY26.

Why would you not want more bat speed, especially if it also comes with more quickness?
Is that a laser pointer she is wearing on her head ?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just asking, not trying to start a war lol, but what if you get fooled by off speed. I understand you not torquing until “go”. It seems to me that TTB as quickly as possible would equal an early commital to the ball and limit adjustability.

You don't have to commit as early when your time from launch to contact is quicker. Slow, early start controlled by the rear leg. Front foot down and launch on time for the pitch speed. Arms remain adjustable even after a TTB launch.

EDIT: In the last swing of this group, she was facing a very slow pitcher. She slowed down her float/hover time (rear leg in control) in order to get her foot down on time...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

I found a clip of my DD from a Feb game. She got fooled with timing on a change up, and ended up with her front foot down too early. Her ability to hold her launch, and rely on her quickness, turned this into a double.

Dec 5, 2017
@Westwind Helped me about a month with the dimensions: Adjust to your hitters age and size

Westwind said:

They can vary- I made two styles

The one with the arched hose with foam on it is 32” or so off the ground

The all PVC 1 1/2” version was about 31”

All my hitters are hs age
Thanks! Looks like it's about waist high, does that sound right? I thought that was a link above "Westwind said" but it's either not or it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So if one turns the barrel immediately from the back shoulder aka TTB to hit fastball... which makes the ‘turn’ of the pendulum early and deep and later relative to the players body and time... how does one wait for a change up if the first move is to TTB at go? How does one delay the ‘turn’ of the barrel to wait? Not to mention spacing to stay on the outside pitch... Releasing the top wrist or TTB at first move is casting right? It’s long to the ball right? I will say it’s an easy way to accelerate the barrel. And maybe a bit quicker as EricF states. . But change ups and outside pitches are hit for power and consistency a bit farther out front mostly during a game. Not deep.

Griffey gets his foot down with the barrel ‘turned’ but no acceleration yet. Not until his frontside is leveraged.. His path is down across his lower body which creates a direct path to the ball. A pull pattern if necessary. Create an oppo path against your lower half.... this makes hitting any pitch at any depth possible. Inside, outside, off-speed deep or out front. The lower half stabilized and hitting against and across and letting the upper go out a bit more and get it out front if necessary. Adjustability.

The pro path is down and across. It’s not ‘out to’ or ‘out from’. Pros adjust to pitches out front not deep. So delaying the ‘turn’ of the barrel is critical to adjustability. If you understand resistance and deceleration and how it impacts direction and force production and force transmission, down and across becomes up and through the middle .. and ‘pull’ if you’re early.

The trick to all of this is learning to get FYB or in laymens terms landing balanced while still closed and still loaded. No leaks.

Oct 2, 2017
So if one turns the barrel immediately from the back shoulder aka TTB to hit fastball... which makes the ‘turn’ of the pendulum early and deep and later relative to the players body and time... how does one wait for a change up if the first move is to TTB at go? How does one delay the ‘turn’ of the barrel to wait? Not to mention spacing to stay on the outside pitch... Releasing the top wrist or TTB at first move is casting right? It’s long to the ball right? I will say it’s an easy way to accelerate the barrel. And maybe a bit quicker as EricF states. . But change ups and outside pitches are hit for power and consistency a bit farther out front mostly during a game. Not deep.

Griffey gets his foot down with the barrel ‘turned’ but no acceleration yet. Not until his frontside is leveraged.. His path is down across his lower body which creates a direct path to the ball. A pull pattern if necessary. Create an oppo path against your lower half.... this makes hitting any pitch at any depth possible. Inside, outside, off-speed deep or out front. The lower half stabilized and hitting against and across and letting the upper go out a bit more and get it out front if necessary. Adjustability.

The pro path is down and across. It’s not ‘out to’ or ‘out from’. Pros adjust to pitches out front not deep. So delaying the ‘turn’ of the barrel is critical to adjustability. If you understand resistance and deceleration and how it impacts direction and force production and force transmission, down and across becomes up and through the middle .. and ‘pull’ if you’re early.

The trick to all of this is learning to get FYB or in laymens terms landing balanced while still closed and still loaded. No leaks.

I don't think thats right. I know you don't like still frames. Griffey has not turned the barrel yet.

Captureb.PNG
Capturea.PNG

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Rich's pattern works but definitely not what Griff, Bonds or other greats are doing.

u3CMg15.gif

3wLHMQV.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA