barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not exactly true FP. When you play a sport there are many occasions where you need to brace with two legs in order to apply force to something, or it could be to get in a ready position because you need to make a decision to sprint/step/jump/dive this way or that way. Think of guarding somebody in basketball, trying to read a return in tennis, defending in football, goal tending etc. The athlete is balanced and ready to react/attack. Hitting a baseball is different than all the things I described, but different than sprinting to I guess. I just know having two feet on the ground in a ready position is a strong balanced position, much stronger than dynamically balanced with one foot on the ground and one in the air

I do not disagree with the bold, believe it or not. Not completely anyway, as there are exceptions ;). If you remember, I commented that swing launch can occur at toe touch, shortly prior to toe touch, or shortly after toe touch. Furthermore, the rearward launch is partially about acceleration, not max speed. As the acceleration increases, the pressure felt at the front foot will also increase. The feedback allows the acceleration to continue in order to reach max speed.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm not sure how some define "Dynamic Balance", but thats why when I see that term, all I can think of, is that its a fancy term for weight shift, which means you are always 1 legged. either front or rear. but those who use it hold to a 2 legged approach. I would only say its only 2 legged for only a fraction of time. Think of a weight on a slide moving across.

Maybe though I'm misunderstanding the term and it may have nothing to do with 1 or 2 legged

Said another way.. Why not do all you can here and monitor how she moves reactively forward into the fyb hitting position ? Rinse and repeat until desired results are met. Then continue to drill her on the setup until she owns it.

I am guessing your answer will be that you want her to focus on the coil... My answer will be why not allow the coil to happen naturally based on her setup actions..

TepTuuk.gif

Oct 2, 2017
Said another way.. Why not do all you can here and monitor how she moves reactively forward into the fyb hitting position ? Rinse and repeat until desired results are met. Then continue to drill her on the setup until she owns it.

I am guessing your answer will be that you want her to focus on the coil... My answer will be why not allow the coil to happen naturally based on her setup actions..

TepTuuk.gif
I assume you are referring to my DD? If so, this conversation has nothing to do with her, so I don't know why you are bringing her up. I'm simply talking hitting with others. Besides what makes you think that I or anyone else doesn't look at the move forward, just because they believe in coiling. Also how many youth hitters, my child's age coils naturally? Even if you taught them to move fyb.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I assume you are referring to my DD? If so, this conversation has nothing to do with her, so I don't know why you are bringing her up. I'm simply talking hitting with others. Besides what makes you think that I or anyone else doesn't look at the move forward, just because they believe in coiling. Also how many youth hitters, my child's age coils naturally? Even if you taught them to move fyb.

I am saying in general, and that's on you weather it would work for you and your daughter... We all know the importance of the rear leg/hip relationship and not wanting the weight to shift across the pelvis to the front leg... If one is using the rear leg hip to snap through the coil as the primary source of power then this pattern may not make sense to you.. If that's the case then the front legs primary job is to catch the swing so leveraged fyb has no benefit..

Oct 2, 2017
I am saying in general, and that's on you weather it would work for you and your daughter... We all know the importance of the rear leg/hip relationship and not wanting the weight to shift across the pelvis to the front leg... If one is using the rear leg hip to snap through the coil as the primary source of power then this pattern may not make sense to you.. If that's the case then the front legs primary job is to catch the swing so leveraged fyb has no benefit..

Isn't FYB allowing the weight to shift across the pelvis to the front leg.,Because if its not then wouldn't the front leg also have no benefit in FYB? unless thats a wrong understanding

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Isn't FYB allowing the weight to shift across the pelvis to the front leg.,Because if its not then wouldn't the front leg also have no benefit in FYB? unless thats a wrong understanding

No you want the COM lowering into (both legs) while getting leveraged forward yet back.. This allows for some coil to happen later and naturally. The easiest way to get there is do the pre-swing actions within the s-plane and let the frontal plane (catcher to pitcher) movements be the result.

7iiZucv.gif

Oct 2, 2017
No you want the COM lowering into (both legs) while getting leveraged forward yet back.. This allows for some coil to happen later and naturally. The easiest way to get there is do the pre-swing actions within the s-plane and let the frontal plane (catcher to pitcher) movements be the result.

7iiZucv.gif
So you view it as some say "Get sat" in the legs. If so, that's different then coil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach